One million points to whoever can tell me whats wrong

Trackstrong83

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]ok sorry for the caps, but I'm at an absolute loss of words right now.
I have a '95 YJ with 151,437 miles on it. For the past few months it has been sputtering when I drive. I hit the gas and shift gears and I lose acceleration and RPMs, and it does this about every 10 seconds until I get up to speed.

As well within the past few months it hasn't been starting consistently. It will turn over, but not ignite.
i have a brand new oxygen sensor, brand new crank shaft sensor, new fuel pump and filter, as well as new battery relays.

I am all out of ideas as to what is wrong with it. Each time after I replaced the parts I listed above, it worked fine for about a month each time, then without fail would start not cranking agai. What else could it be that is causing it not to crank consistently? And what is causing it to sputter? I feel like there is a relation between the two, and once I stop the sputtering, it will cranks consistently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [/FONT]:shades:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

We to know what engine you have, before I can collect.
If yours has a timing chain in it, I win.

My '95 Wrangler book, does show the 4 cyl motor with a timing chain.
That is what I have been fighting on my 78, with close to your issues.
It is easy to check.

Pop off the distributor cap.
Put it in park.
Slowly turn your crank one way, then the other, while watching the rotors motion.
If the rotor does not follow within about 10 degrees, or less, you have probably got enough wear to give problems. Mine had about 15 degrees, and it would not idle at all.
To replace it yourself, it cost under $ 100.00

Good luck.

General maintenance items completed already?

Plugs single platinum at least
Wires
Throttle body cleaned?
Idle Air Control cleaned?

TPS and IAC wires connected and clean?

Have you had the trouble codes scanned?

No I have not.

its just baffling me how every time I replace something, it will start fine for about a month, then mess up again. But it has doing the sputtering for almost a year now, and never has stopped, even with all of the replacements I've had in it.

I'm with Bounty......scan the codes, they can tell you alot.

I'm with Bounty......scan the codes, they can tell you alot.

Ok thank you, I've been told it is difficult to usually find people with the tools to read the codes on such an old jeep. What do you guys think?

And any any other suggestions as to what the problem can be?

Difficult maybe for the parts stores, but not for any competent shop. The diagnostic ports are on the fender.

I would remove and clean all grounds also.

Agree.

Auto z or advanced or ORiley's have scanners to borrow.

Clogged injectors? Can of BG's 44K or Amsoil PI should help. When my ignition module was corroded it atced like that too. I also had to clean/set my TPS.

Had this happen to my '94 YJ; try swaping out yout coil. Don't bother with the expensive stuff; my Accel and Peformance Distributor ones did not last long. Cheap ones lasted longer. Mopar lasted the most.

jfrabat

off topic question on an old thread:
Where can I find info on installing a Taurus Efan and what is needed to do it. I have the fan laying around, and have a failing clutch in the mechanical fan in one of my 98 Grand Cherokees w/ 4.0

There are a bunch of them around... Just google it. As far as what you need, it depends on what you want to do. You can run the fan with a switch (low speed is enough to keep my 4banger cool even when wheeling), or you can go (at the other end of the spectrum) to a variable speed setup. Flex-a-Lite and Delta Current Controls sell boxes for this.

I've done a lot of repairs and mods over the decades, and am more than willing to share my experience with everyone. But the two things that sucked the most was the era I did them in and the lack of technology that it had. The Internet wasn't and digital photography didn't... I enjoy Jeepz.com because the people here have done things, and haven't been a bunch of arm chair off roaders, like so many other forums out there. I started playing in the dirt back in 76, with a 258 powered Cherokee S, and currently have 3 grand Cherokees and an 06 TJ. I've found a lot of GOOD information here because of the type of people that are members of this site. To all if you I raise my stein of Spotted Cow!

Back