cat converter

monsterrd

Hi everybody, I have a coule of q's for you. First: thinking of doing away with my cat converter, it has an o2 sensor on it will that mess anything up if I run without the 02 or should I just replace the converter. Moving to florida soon no emissions there so really no need for it. :-? :-? :-? [addsig]

I figured a Jeep as old as your YJ has the o2 sensor in front of the cat, so it won't be affected by removing the converter. If this is so, you're okay. If not, you need the converter for the computer.

[addsig]

i've seen that OBD2 style computers can be fooled somehow.. not sure on how that is though, i know the sensor works on variable resistance in the current... the right resistor looped back should take care of that[addsig]

He doesn't have OBDII in the '89. Monsterrd, where exactly is your o2 sensor?

Sorry to hear you're moving, we would love to have you at SIJA events.[addsig]

O2 won't be on your cat. It has tobe closer to the engine on your jeep.[addsig]

Yah, I have an 89 YJ and the O2 is right off the exhaust manifold. Straight piping it will not affect the O2 sensor.

c[addsig]

Moving to the west palm beach area, My little brother offered me a job I can't refuse. I'll be doing alignments on big trucks, Plus he told me a 4 new tires and rims whatever ones I want as a signing bonus. Not leaving for a couple months yet. Thanks for the info, the 02 sensor is on the manifold. P.S. I'll be able to get you guys killer discounts on tires, My brother owns a tire co. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

edited by: monsterrd, Apr 25, 2003 - 12:53 PM[addsig]

I guess what my question was , If I run without the converter will the sensor detect something wrong by not having the convrter?[addsig]

As long as the sensor is upstream from the cat it shouldn't bother it. I had my cat come apart on the inside a couple months ago and it did not give me a check engine light, only made it a little louder. So as long as there is no sensor after the cat, you should have no problems[addsig]

When you guys say infront of the cat, do you mean between the cat and the muffler, or between the cat and engine?[addsig]

In front of the cat is between the cat and the engine. Behind the cat is either between the cat and the muffler or behind the muffler. TJ's have two o2 sensors, one in front of the cat and one behind, making removal impossible.[addsig]

i may be wrong, but isn't it illegal to remove emmission devices from your rig?

of course, none of us would ever violate local ordinances.

the designers did a fairly good job of getting ample hp out of our little engines. just keep in mind that you'll need to consider that and maintan that balance of 'air in, air out'

just a thought.

blue[addsig]

It is illegal to remove emissions equipment, unless it is proven defective and is replaced properly. And it's mostly Federal Law.[addsig]

Back