bumpers

duffield15

I want to get a nice bumper with a guard on it. I don't really want a stinger though. Any suggestions? I've looked at the smittybilt SRC bumper. That's a lot like I want. Anybody have a picture or have anything to say about that? Thanks guys
99 wrangler Sahara

ForumRunner_20140720_163940.png

3 inch body lift
33 inch wrangler duratracs

3 in body lift???

Plan on going off road? A suspension may be a better investment than a bumper.

Any suggestions on suspension lifts? I've looked a little into rough country (I know that's the higher end ones). I have 33s so I think I'd have to go at least 3 inches

Rough country is not one of the higher quality lift kits. Their more like the bottom of ths barrel. I've heard that their quality has improved some but, i had a set and when they lost half of their arch in two years, I emailed them and their reply was "Sorry, There's nothing we will do for you" Their waranty is no good. I'll never buy from rough country again.

I've bought a bunch of Rough Country stuff over the years, and I would say they are a definitely more of a budget supplier, but a good value. I'm currently running their 2.5" springs on my TJ and I'm happy. Jeepz.com members get a discount if you call Dustin (Jeepz.com doesn't make any money on the deal, it's just a discount for members).
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/4x4-vendors/27627-rough-country-here.html

As to your bumper, I got mine from Ground Pounder Fab - I told him what I wanted, and how I wanted it, and he delivered the unpainted product.

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/24975-my-new-ground-pounder-fab-jeep-bumper.html

One of the first things I did to 'Black Betty' was add the SRC front bumper, haven't gotten around to the rear though.
4560932849_50a0d3d086_o.jpg

As for the bumper, I have the Hanson one (note that I have a YJ, not a TJ like yours, but I thikn all 3 of the items I mention work on TJ's as well or have TH versions available). Not cheap, but REALLY good. I like that it is open in the back, which means it is ease to wash the mud off it. I had it line-X'ed, and have not had a problem with it in about 7 years of use (including a lot of deep mud winching). Don't have a picture of it now, but here is what it looks like (online pics, not mine):
JR51102P.jpg
YJ61202-P_medium.jpg

In the rear I have a JCR Offroad one. I had them line it, but the lining is nowhere near as good as the Line-X or Rhino Linnings (my tub is rhino's). But bumper is good. I have towed with it, and have been pulled out of more mud holes than I care to admit from it...

SWBCRStandard1_448x270.jpg

SWBCRStandard4_475x228.jpg

Since I did not get a tire carrier for it when I bought it, I ended up getting the Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier. This is a frame that attaches to the tailgate, and it opens and closes with the tailgate (along with the door), but takes the weight of the tire off the tailgate. I ran my 33" tire from the tailgate for years without issue (which, since you have 33's as well, you could well do. Just make sure to extend the bump stops of the tailgate so that they hold the spare tightly in place with no play), but then, one time, I was dropping down a rather steep and high ledge to a river, and the tire caught the border. My stock hinges where all bent out of shape, and the tailgate bent. I got this carrier and used TJ hinges, and had the tailgate worked on by a shop, and have not looked back since...

Now, for the lift, I STRONGLY recommend the Rubicon Express lift. They are well known for their high quality. For 33's on a TJ, you should not need more than 2.5", so you are good. Maybe thrown a 1" Body lift for good measure, but I don't think it is even necessary (you could go back to stock BL; but since you are going to have to get the pucks for the BL anyway, you may as well get a bit of lift there).

Back