Help Needed with 2008 Jeep Wrangler Lifted Suspension/Steering Issue

LarryT63

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2008 used Sahara 2 door, which has a 3 to 4 inch lift on it (not sure what brand), wasn't able to find out what type it is one the numbers underneath it). 17" rims and 35" tires. I took it for a test drive at the dealer and it drove fine. I had it flat bedded to my house. and I began having some issues with it drifting a little bit to the right while driving it(the wind making it worse). I went to Off Road Warehouse and they installed a set of new caster stops and did a front end alignment, also had a new (upgraded) steering box installed, both were about $600 to have installed. Now when I drive it, I have an issue where it doesn't seem to drive straight. I always have to do slight micro-corrections to get it to go in a straight-line. I've talked to my mechanic, who installed the new steering box(which is a friend of the family and has a shop in this area) and he says he'll recheck it, but he thinks it might be as good as it gets. I have a hard time believing this as I had a 2004 Jeep Sahara, which was also lifted, but did not have this issue and also, it didn't do this before I had it flat bedded home.

Are there any suggestions out there what else I might check for?

Thank you very much in advance!

Larry

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 34

I don't know what may be the problem with your jeep, but I can attest that my TJ drifted to the right from the installation of the 4" lift until it's demise. not a severe drift, just a gradual lull. Aligned several times through the years, at least 4, by people who know how to adjust for lifts. I hope someone has a suggestion for you.

What was the alignment numbers when complete? Things that can cause wander are:

Over inflated tires
Bad/worn tires
Poor alignment.
Caster and tie.
Worn parts
TRE, track bar, ball joints, control arms...

Start with doing s chalk test to get tire inflation correct. Perform a dry steering test and look for worm parts.
Call the place you got the alignment and new steering box and ask for your alignment measurements. Post them up when you get them.

thank you! Getting that info now!

What was the alignment numbers when complete? Things that can cause wander are:

Over inflated tires
Bad/worn tires
Poor alignment.
Caster and tie.
Worn parts
TRE, track bar, ball joints, control arms...

Start with doing s chalk test to get tire inflation correct. Perform a dry steering test and look for worm parts.
Call the place you got the alignment and new steering box and ask for your alignment measurements. Post them up when you get them.

this is what Off Road Warehouse said:

I just had my alignment machine wiped/fixed today, I have no old record unfortunately! Your alignment was mainly a toe-set and steering wheel straightening, with the cam lock guide plates in an offset to push the caster more positive to give it better handling. If you’d like the numbers I can always re-sweep the caster to get the spec on Monday.

On my 90 Dodge pickup I had the same problem that no one could seem to remedy. They all said that everything was within specs and it was the nature of the beast. It still wandered and was tireing to drive for any amount of time. I was talking to an old timer that always adjusted his stuff without any computer telling him what to do. He suggested toeing it in just a very little Even tho radial tires are suposed to be straight ahead. I tried it and low and behold, It worked. I don't know if it will work in your situation, But it's worth a try if nothing else works for you. Try just a little at a time. Maybe a quarter turn at a time.

Thank you both! Hopefully on Monday it can be resolved, I've had it two weeks and can't even enjoy driving it yet! this gives me hope!!!

Well I got it back, they said the caster was off, it was in spec, but different vehicles vary between 14 and 17, so mine is now at 17. He said i could probably improve it more by having custom lower control arms installed that are adjustable. It drives better, but I think I'll save up and have that done!

thanks so much for all your help!!!

Good to hear you got it corrected. If you have a 4in or larger lift and 35 or larger tires he is correct. A few places sell adjustable control arms that can correct caster and pinion angle. It would be a good investment in the long run.

Currie, Rockman and Metal Cloak

Welp, Just an update:

I decided to have the custom lower control arms installed, only to find out that my jeep is only lifted 2 1/2 inches by using spacers! Off Road Warehouse suggested new springs all the way around so I will have a true 3 inch lift I decided to go for it! Hopefully this will give me a whole new feel while I'm driving down the road!

Of course they did.
Budget boosts of 2 inches are common.
More than two inches on spacers is not a good choice.

What are your plans for the jeep? Heavy rock crawler? Mostly off road???

It's just my get around toy, nothing severe, but I would like it to be "able" if you get my meaning. I'd love to do something more serious with it, but because of my physical limitations, I really can't get into "real" off-roading, if that makes any sense... :)

Going to a 2 inch coil spacer is pretty cheap (really just spacers on top of the spring). When you go above that things start to get more expensive. You may be ok with 3 inches, but here are some of the things that you may end up buying (you'll normally need / get these in a 4 inch lift kit):
longer / adjustable trackbar
longer brake lines
longer control arms
longer shocks
longer swabar links

I think JPNinPA is spot on when he said to figure out where you want to end up and move towards that. I know that I didn't, and really ended up buying everything twice. I wish I had just bought everything in one complete kit at the start instead of just piecing it together over years.

For my 2 cents I'll recommend a Firestone lifetime alignment. I've probably had my Jeep aligned 5 times there. If you ask they'll provide sheets like these (Keep in mind these are TJ specs).

2014-02-05 alignment.jpg

It's just my get around toy, nothing severe, but I would like it to be "able" if you get my meaning. I'd love to do something more serious with it, but because of my physical limitations, I really can't get into "real" off-roading, if that makes any sense... :)

I went offroading in NC a couple of years ago, and there were a two guys, each with a Suzuki Samari out there. One of them had his wheelchair in the back, and he was running all the trails.

I'm embarrassed to say those Zukes were making us look bad :redface:

I went offroading in NC a couple of years ago, and there were a two guys, each with a Suzuki Samari out there. One of them had his wheelchair in the back, and he was running all the trails.

I'm embarrassed to say those Zukes were making us look bad :redface:

With the correct suspension and drivetrain a beetle makes a great offroad vehicle.

image-4070908600.jpg

I only have a 2.5 in lift and have had lots of fun. Just need to know the limitations of driver and vehicle. And how much you really want to spend.

Attachments

• image-3637088201.jpg
    image-3637088201.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,336
  • image-4247867404.jpg
    image-4247867404.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,113
Last edited:

Oops

Attachments

• image-2986587569.jpg
    image-2986587569.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,327
Thanks Guys!

Yeah, I bought it the way it sits off a used car lot, the dealer kept claiming it wasn't lifted, now I suspect he put new tires and spacers on it to make it look better. Hopefully I won't have to lay out too much more cash to make it a decent daily driver.....

Hi Terry,

Thanks for asking, it's driving much better with the new springs and control arms, but now my oil light keeps coming on, even after they reset it, the next morning it was on again. he said the oil looked fine/fresh, and nothing looked wrong at the time of inspection. Do you think it could be a sensor? If so, how much is one of those?

thanks,

Larry

Back