Wrangler starts but shuts off

Melw

I have a 99 Wrangler 4 cylinder that I noticed was taking a few times to start. I did not use the car for 2 days to find out the battery was dead. I jumped the car and it started but I noticed the car would run as long as the pedal was depressed otherwise just stopped running. I don't think the battery has anything to do with it although it is time for a new battery. My problem is that the car will not stay on if I take my foot off the gas.
Any ideas.

Thanks

Welcome to Jeepz.com

While it is running, does it have a check engine light illuminated? If so, reading that code may be a good place to start.

Fully charge the battery and have it load tested.

The main issue is your iAC and TB needs to be cleaned.

Replace the battery first. A completely depleted battery will keep the engine from running. Not to mention that it's going to put a lot of strain on the charging system that eventually will fail as well if it hadn't already.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Sorry, what does iac and TB mean.

TB is the throttle body
IAC is idle air control. Controls air flow for the engine to operate at idle.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cleaning-iac-throttle-body-write-up-dummies-1114849/

Have you fully charged and load tested the battery? A battery when less then 12v will not start the engine, but may support operation with the alternator assisting. With your RPMs up you supply more current and voltage will rise to 14.4v and normal operation.

Both could be the issue

Checking and cleaning are cheaper then shelling out $200 plus for a new decent battery. especially if you don't have to.

Last edited:
Back