Windshield Light mount brackets

Bob Burns

Have always wanted to get windshield light brackets, was wondering which brand you guys use and or like. The KC's seem to be much pricier than the Rampage. I've never used Rampage accessories but after bad experiences with Steel horse stuff years ago i'm wary of off brand stuff. Was curious about your experiences with Rampage parts in general

I have the KC windshield brackets. After a few years they rust, starting at the mounting holes. .

When you go to install them, you will find getting the bolts out is tricky. Use tight fitting torx bits. i used a hardened steel made for impact wrenches.
Squirt a bit of penetrating oil on there a few days in advance.
Heat the bolt and the torx bit and use a large breaker bar or impact wrench to break them loose.

Last edited:
I forget which magazine did a comparison of lighting products (perhaps 4 wheeler) but I remeber they're mentioning that windshield lighting reflects off of the hood area and lends to diminishing your sight during darkness. I reckon like looking over a full moonlight covered lake and trying to spot the nearby opposite shore. May be something to consider.

I used windshield light brackets on my YJ. I used the KC ones with KC Daylighters (long range). Never had much problems with light reflecting off the hood. Then I installed a snorkel, and had to relocate the lights, so I went with KC hood hinge mounts. In this case, there IS reflection on the hood, but it is not too bad. By the way, careful how you route your wires for the windshield mount; I originally routed them under the windshield, and it cause leaks to start...

2x on the advice to use long range lights and consider wiring. Here is how I set mine up.
IMG_0011-1.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, I originally installed the cables going in through the sides, and that caused leaks. Then I ended up going like you (on the bottom side of the seal), and that stopped the leaks... Or was it backwards? I dont really remember... That was about 10 years ago!

Mine are into the cowl across to the driver side then down to the grommet near the brake pedal.

They do not go under the windshield.
I do not recommend disturbing the windshield seal. Like you stated.

Back