99 TJ Wobble - Could this be the issue?

sibertj

Started experiencing the wobble a couple of weeks ago and found this today....could this be the problem?

While I was looking around, noticed that the drag link tube was bent where it inserts into the connecting tube. Take a look at the pictures and give me an opinion.

thanks

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

Bent linkage along will not be the cause of the wobble, but it could have changed your toe-in which can make the wobble more likely. The impact that bent the linkage could have damaged another part, causing the wobble. Look for worn tie-rod ends and a worn track bar to be likely culprits.

The drag link and trackbar should be parallel. If not it causes bump steer. This is why it is not recommended to use a drop pitman arm in a lift without lowering other components. Bump steer is not the direct cause for DW but should be corrected.

If you have DW. Do a dry steering test look for all loose components. Check all axel u joints and drive shaft joints. Even inspect the control arm bushings for movement. Most common cause is alignment and worn trackbar.

Last edited:

You are right. I must have been tired. I corrected to limit confusion for future readers.

Back