Really stupid question

dmichaell77CJ7

Alright, please don't make fun of me for this, but I have a really dumb question.

So, I have a rear axle seal leak (AMC20). From what I have read, the inner seals will need replaced. Straight forward job that I'm sure I can do. The stupid question though is, if the seals are holding in oil, where do you refill the oil and how much? My assumption here is that, differential fluid is not inside the entire axle and I can't think that this is oil from the engine... So I am left feeling dumb and thought I would ask you guys. By the way, one of the reasons I bought my CJ is so that I can learn. It's worked so far.

Thanks

The only dumb questions are ones that are not asked.

The pumpkin in the axel holds the gear oil and there is a filler plug above 1/2 the height of the cover you fill it to there when you replace the seal.

Oops for AMC 20 there is no fill hole in the cover. The fill hole is on front side of housing (pinion side) Drivers side. Should be a square headed fill plug. 5/8 open end wrench.

To fill it, park it on level ground and fill it till it just starts to run out if you have a clutch rear put the additive in first the fill it with 80w90 lube 4.75 pints = amc 20

Last edited:
Back