TJ Heater

lpbosch

Okay guys and gals I have an issue that I need help with. I need to figure out what is going on with my Jeep heat. This is the first winter that I have had this jeep and as the temps are dropping I noticed that it is not heating like it should. I have flushed out the heater core and it did not help. The issue I have is that it will not heat. It only gets luke warm. I am leaning toward that it is my thermostat. The reason I say this is because my running temp only gets to 210 if the Jeep is sitting still at an idol. The moment I start driving the temp drops (see pic). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• tempature.JPG
    tempature.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 169

I believe your thermostat is stuck open !

2x on the thermostat.

I'll post up a link. It is fairly easy. Some things to consider:
OEM, Stant and NAPA are best.
Do not buy a fail safe type as they will fail
OEM has a bleeder hole above the valve. You could drill a hole in other mfg just be sure to align the hole toward the top to help bleed air out.
Make sure you get a new gasket
Clean all of the old gasket off both engine and housing.
Caution that the thermo sits in a recess and tends to pop out while reassembly. I use a small amount og gasket prep on the gasket to let the gasket hold the thermo in place.
Allow at least a half hour of drying after assembly if you prep the gasket
Do not mix coolant types. Use HOAT or Zerex G05.

Replacing a Thermostat - Quadratec Jeep Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

I've never heard of an air bleed hole in the thermostat, but it makes perfect sense though.

About that video - I feel like we should chip in and buy that guy some new gloves.

I've never heard of an air bleed hole in the thermostat, but it makes perfect sense though.

About that video - I feel like we should chip in and buy that guy some new gloves.

attachmentphpattachmentid78559d132180750-1.jpg

OEM thermo above. Also 49 sec in video.
Home drilled below (good enough) though the lower thermo has a smaller valve. Bigger is better as well as wider opening.
image-missing.png

Wasn't the top video but basic and not 20 min long. I think my tips and the other link are sufficient.
Gloves and a camera stand.

Last edited:

Cause they fail. This was after 1 month.

IMG_0033-1.jpg

Last edited:

Guys, thank you very much! I did the thermo replacement and all is happen and heavenly warm in the Jeep now! Thank you so much for all the information. Jeepsters ROCK!

Back