Check engine light

Melw

Hi,
I have 1999 wrangler and every once in awhile the check engine light goes on. The wrangler runs fine. Exhaust is fine and catalytic converter was changed about 3 years ago. The car has 85000 miles.
Any ideas or anyway of shutting the light off.

Thanks

Check the on board diagnostic. Turn the key to ON but don't start the car. Then back to OFF, than back to ON. Repeat 3 times, this will run a diagnostic and give you the error code.

Oh to shut the light off you can disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. That will clear the error

Hi,
I have 1999 wrangler and every once in awhile the check engine light goes on. The wrangler runs fine. Exhaust is fine and catalytic converter was changed about 3 years ago. The car has 85000 miles.
Any ideas or anyway of shutting the light off.

Thanks

Get the code read at AZ or Orielly's and fix the issue. If you reset the code without fixing the issue, it will only come back. If you are getting inspected, you need to be code free and have several hundred miles of memory. Otherwise you fail.

Last edited:

Check the on board diagnostic. Turn the key to ON but don't start the car. Then back to OFF, than back to ON. Repeat 3 times, this will run a diagnostic and give you the error code.
That does not work on ( I believe 98-00) I know it doesn't work on my 99

That does not work on ( I believe 98-00) I know it doesn't work on my 99
But what does work is this:
Key off, push and hold the odometer reset button.
Turn key to on (not run).
Turn key back off.
Release odometer reset button, watch for codes on odometer.

If the odometer counts backwards 999999, 888888, etc., you released the reset button too early.

Turn key back off.

If the odometer counts backwards 999999, 888888, etc., you released the reset button too early.

I followed the instructions you emailed me and it showed "2.5". Do you have any idea what that means.

Thanks for your help

Thanks again for being so prompt. Is there anything I can do to repair this or do I need to go repair shop. Also, should I waste my time getting the car inspected at this time.
Thanks

Turn key back off.

I'll have to try that, thanks...

Remove your throttle body from the engine. It's pretty easy, few electrical connections, throttle linkage, and 4 bolts holding it to the manifold.

Remove the IAC housing from the throttle body. This requires a tamper-proof torx bit to remove the 4 bolts. Remove all sensors from the throttle body.

Give the throttle body and IAC housing a good cleaning with brake cleaner solvent and a toothbrush. Don't use your good toothbrush.

I successfully took apart the throttle body and did a very good cleaning. It needed it. But the check light stayed on anyway. I decided to get an inspection and it came back with a code of P0442. NJ inspection said to try a new gas cap since there were cracks on it. That did not help. Check light is still on.
I am glad I did clean the throttle body, the car runs better but can you tell me what the new code is and any suggestions.
Thanks

Have you used a scanner or disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light?

If disconnecting the battery, touch both battery cables together once the battery is completely disconnected. While the cables are touching, turn the headlights on and back off

Have you used a scanner or disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light?

If disconnecting the battery, touch both battery cables together once the battery is completely disconnected. While the cables are touching, turn the headlights on and back off
To All:
I am sorry I didn't back to you sooner. The inspection went well and my jeep works better than ever and I want to thank you for all your knowledge.

melw

Back