cj7 tire carrier

superj

How come no one uses a cj7 tire carrier on a yj? Everyone tries to fab one from a junkyard blazer or Isuzu rodeo but why not a cj7?

My buddy is taking his mint condition one off his restored cj7 and was going to toss it. I told him I would take that sucker. Its going on my yj, most likely

They are not the best set up. All the weight hangs off the rear passenger corner and over time you will be able to lift the tire carrier up and down, and evetually will have to lift it up and hold while you shut it. I think the yj's have a bracket on the inside of the rear passenger corner to help (sits on top of the fenderwell) but doesn't really help much as my buddies yj's carrier is already loose.

Just my experience with them on every jeep cj I have ever owned (which is a lot). If you could find a way to support the rear corner it may be ok. It seems to separate where the corner seam is on the rear of the jeep around the tail gate area and sorta makes the passenger corner lean to the passenger side. When I said you will eventually be able to lift it up and down, that is with the carrier open, that corner, as you lift the carrier will move. It seperates the corner seam by the tail gate.

I realized while looking at it that I would have to put back on my Cj tailgate to use it as its mounting holes are right where my hinge bolts to the tub so it will go on my buddy Jake's cj7.

I have a Gr8Tops tire carrier on my TJ. I mention this because it has a cool little bracket that ties the hinge into rollbar. It would be pretty easy to add, and should help out. Here's what it looks like

14516d1345824376-exogate-tire-carrier-21-tire-carrier-support.jpg

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/40222-exogate-tire-carrier.html

Back