Transmission and T-case fluid

Blab77

Hey guys I was just curious on what you guys run in your transmission and t-case. Thanks

Bryce B

What year? What trans?
I use redline MT-90 in my ax-5
ATF-4 in the transfer case

I have a t-5 with a Dana 300 t case. Thanks guys

Bryce B

80-90 gear oil, Mt90. below is copied from Novaks web site.
When filling your 300 with gear oil, we recommend that you select a conventional mineral oil or a para-synthetic in lieu of a full synthetic oil. Properly assembled manual gearboxes do not have the thermal strains seen by combustion engines or hypoid gears. Synthetic fluid in these gearboxes, while not harmful, is probably an economic waste.

Hypoid gear oil is sulphurized higher than transmission oil and can be mildly corrosive to the non-ferrous alloys used for thrust washers in these transmissions.

An 80W-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good.

If it where me and it has been many times, for the Tremec T4 and T5 transmissions (non-world class like those in your Jeep), you'll need a gearbox oil with anti-oxidation additives like Pennzoil Synchromesh due to the brass synro rings used. The transfer case is good with whatever weight is appropreiate gear oil for your climate (80-90, 75-80 etc.) as long as it meets API-GL5 ratings. I normally mix 10-15% of Lucas oil stabalizer into both before adding.

Back