confused as sterile bunny

kawa

I'm not only new to the jeep world but I'm new to jeeps. I bought an 1982 CJ7 4.2 with many problems.
When I try to order parts I'm constantly being asked which jeep I have ie; Wrangler, Cherokee, ETC.
It's my understanding that Jeep didn't use these cute names until later in the 80's.
My latest quest is attempting to locate a new fan clutch and I find '82 4.2 and then all of the cute names are listed. I tell them it's just a CJ7 and they seem to question me and or my intelligence.
So I guess my question is....what do I tell these folks when trying to find parts?
Rog

JEEPZ just installed a VIN decoder, this may help with more detail for your jeep when it comes to giving info for parts

JEEPZ just installed a VIN decoder, this may help with more detail for your jeep when it comes to giving info for parts

to get access to the vin decoder, at the righthand top of the screen is a box for as you to type in "vin decoder", click search and your in the neighborhood of it. Good luck bro and welcome to the site.:)

The first wrangler was made in 1987 (also know as a Jeep YJ). You are correct when you tell them you have a Jeep CJ.

There was no Jeep Wrangler build in 1982, so I would question their software. I think your problem is the store you are at. If you go to somewhere like Advance Auto - Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories and put in your information, you are asked if it is a CJ5, CJ7, Cherokee, Wagoneer, etc.

I'm not only new to the jeep world but I'm new to jeeps. I bought an 1982 CJ7 4.2 with many problems. When I try to order parts I'm constantly being asked which jeep I have ie; Wrangler, Cherokee, ETC. It's my understanding that Jeep didn't use these cute names until later in the 80's. My latest quest is attempting to locate a new fan clutch and I find '82 4.2 and then all of the cute names are listed. I tell them it's just a CJ7 and they seem to question me and or my intelligence. So I guess my question is....what do I tell these folks when trying to find parts? Rog

I also have the 4.2 and have always shopped at jeep4x4center.com. They have competitive prices and always have what I need.

The first wrangler was made in 1987 (also know as a Jeep YJ). You are correct when you tell them you have a Jeep CJ.

There was no Jeep Wrangler build in 1982, so I would question their software. I think your problem is the store you are at. If you go to somewhere like Advance Auto - Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories and put in your information, you are asked if it is a CJ5, CJ7, Cherokee, Wagoneer, etc.

I don't really care for advance auto parts, have gotten the wrong part from them to many times, advance auto parts and haynes manual are in the same catagory as far as I'm concerned. Darn near worthless. I have better luck with auto zone.

The last cj built was in 86. I get the funny looks when I tell them the parts are for a cj5. Just tell them what ya got, a 82 cj7 with 4.2 6cyl. You shouldn't have to much trouble as I get lots of parts from autozone for my cj's, its all I have owned. Most external engine parts, like alternators, clutch fans, fuel pumps, starters, solenoids, and ujoints, brakes, bearings will all interchange with 76-86 cj's so that may help you in your search.

Thanks to all that have answered my cakk for help. I was pretty sure I was gining them the right info but just wanted to be sure.
Rog

Back