Lower Control Arm Bracket dilemma

KyMadMan

Just found out the clunking noise I hear in the rear end when I take off from a dead stop and shift gears is being caused by loose lower control arm bolts. (this is what happens when you buy used) Apparently the bolts were not tight, no telling for how long and now the mounting brackets are ovaled out slightly.

I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this situation. I've noticed that rear lower control arm brackets on the axle side are not a common aftermarket item. My thought until I redo the entire rear axle is making 4 3/16" plate steel "patches" that would fit inside the outer form of the factory brackets and weld them in place.

I realize the 3/16" is thicker than the factory steel, but other than that does anyone see a problem with this or have you done it yourself and if so, your results.

Still think I got a good deal on this Just Empty Every Pocket project.

^^ Agree ^^ first find the thickest bolt that will fit through the bushing and washers to match. Then weld them on.

Ok, got new BDS bushings and sleeves. Will get new bolts on Tues as they had to be ordered. The question I have now is: I found washers that fit the factory bolts. A 1/2" ID will match up with the factory bolts with very little clearance. The problem (or not) is the washers are only 1 3/8" OD. I realize I'm just trying to repair the ovaled out holes, but is there a larger OD washer that you guys have used and if so, where did you purchase them? These washers I have are only 3/32" thick and doubling them will give me 3/16" thickness to weld onto the factory bracket.

Save yourself some time and weld in some thick washers.

Look for flat washers, dock washers or fender washers. Fastenal.com

I would think that making some washers as you mentioned in your first post is the way to go. It might be hard to find some thick enough to do the job right. I think that 3/16 is a little over kill. 1/4 would be more than enough. But if 3/6 is all you've got, then go for it.

Back