Random sound like contact with spinning object

KristiW

2009 Wrangler X, manual transmission,71717 miles, sound not impacted (start or stop) by engaging/disengaging clutch, changing gears, breaking or turning. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like there's something spinning and something is randomly rubbing it causing a high pitch whining sound. I do not hear it when on the interstate at high speeds, mainly when driving at lower speeds.

Hello Kristi and welcome to Jeepz.com :welcome:. What first comes to mind is pilot bearing and clutch release bearing . Those two items would be heard at all times , not just low speed , however. Has any inspection been done with regards to this problem or has it just begun now ? Not faulting clutch slave cylinder for dragging clutch fork but keeping that in mind . I don't own a late model and my current jeep is auto trans so I'm hoping for a member with a later model that may have dealt with a related problem to reply to. One question , is this noise ONLY heard while in gear rolling ? Not at stop / in gear or in neutral engine running ?

When you say "sound not impacted" by ect....Does this mean it doesn't make it worse, meaning it's constant or when it starts happening ? To add to last question greg92jeepxj had, Is it constant from start of motor? or an intermittent "high pitch whining?" Does it get better worse when engine warms up? or cold temps? My thought for these questions is maybe thinking a pulley, a seized bearing maybe. If you can, eyeball your belts for condition and play, and an ear if you can narrow down a general location of noise.

If it is only while moving and sounds like angry birds, consider u-joints and axel joints.

Last edited:
Hello Kristi and welcome to Jeepz.com :welcome:. What first comes to mind is pilot bearing and clutch release bearing . Those two items would be heard at all times , not just low speed , however. Has any inspection been done with regards to this problem or has it just begun now ? Not faulting clutch slave cylinder for dragging clutch fork but keeping that in mind . I don't own a late model and my current jeep is auto trans so I'm hoping for a member with a later model that may have dealt with a related problem to reply to. One question , is this noise ONLY heard while in gear rolling ? Not at stop / in gear or in neutral engine running ?

thank you for the nice welcome. It just started and is only while the car is not only running but moving. It also doesn't start up right away.

When you say "sound not impacted" by ect....Does this mean it doesn't make it worse, meaning it's constant or when it starts happening ? To add to last question greg92jeepxj had, Is it constant from start of motor? or an intermittent "high pitch whining?" Does it get better worse when engine warms up? or cold temps? My thought for these questions is maybe thinking a pulley, a seized bearing maybe. If you can, eyeball your belts for condition and play, and an ear if you can narrow down a general location of noise.

It doesn't start or stop when I do any of the actions I listed. It isn't constant either. It will start start randomly. It is making the sound when I reach where I am going, it. Does seem to get louder as I slow down and Stop.
I will try and listen today to pinpoint a location. Thank you for the info and guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

If at all possible, if you could capture this sound on a video and post it. would help,
Couple questions. does feel of your braking change?and how is the oil pressure gauge looking, normal or low? Battery Voltage gauge? Pretty much anything that feels/does abnormal, other than the sound.
It is possible it is just a guard of some sort being rubbed. just sayin

Your most welcome Kristi . Now that I think of it , this cold snap has my '92 telling me I may have to change another idler pulley . But in my case , closer inspection is needed. All of the posted replies are possibilities. Of course it will be necessary to isolate the offending noise to where it sounds like it originates. This is always the fun part. From behind the wheel , I sometimes cannot find where a noise is until I am outside the vehicle. Everyone else seems to have better luck. I end up prodding at the suspected part to replicate the noise. Seems that it will take two to find this , one to crawl with the jeep in gear and at idle standing still . Turn the steering , listen to drive shafts , etc . to find if its drive train or engine accessories (I.E. , power steering). My post mentioned clutch release bearing and pilot bearing because both (especially pilot bearings) are more acute in colder whether but of course no less detectable warmer .
Hoping this gives you direction as will need to isolate . A video as suggested by drewbuddy sounds good if can be done. But if not , isolating will have to do. Best of luck and will be looking for your post(s). Thanks for your membership here at Jeepz.com :mrgreen:
P.S.- you also posted a starting issue. I guess we will need you to elaborate on that. Hard starts are a thread in itself but I guess we'll take our best shot.

Last edited:
Back