Advice on tires & rims sizes

wranglermom3

I have 33x12x50x15's on 15x10 Centerlines.....some people have told me that 15x8's are better, that the 15x10 is too wide..... but I like my rims and can't find any in 15x8. So.....should I just switch to 15x8's or can I different size tire fit better? I have slip yoke eliminator with 3 inch lift.

15x10 will work just fine if u have them use them wider rims r usually more prone to ur bead popping loose at real low psi u will be just fine

33x12.50x15 calls for a 10" rim. If you look on the side of the tire it should give "recommended rim size" (10). 33x10.5x 15 call for 8" rim and 33x15.50x15 calls for a 12".

12.5" wide tires work best with 8" wheels on a rig that will see offroad time. The 8" work better because the bead is less likely to come loose at low psi and you're less likely to get debris in the bead.

10" wide wheels are better for a strictly road rig because you'll have a flatter contact patch, better tire wear, and can run a little higher psi.

I disagree with you on that one bounty, been there done that and have had more trouble with 8" than the 10" I wont even run 8" anymore because of that reason. I ran brand new 8" rims, put 33x12.50 on them disconnected my sway bar and ran the tire into the sway bar pin on full turn (poped the tire) ordered 10" with the same back spacing (new tire too) and no more of that problem. I have had a tire pop the bead at 13psi (what I run off road), never have had a 10" pop one at 13, close though, I could hear the air seeping out. For bead loks =33x12.50 on 8"

Popping a tire on the swaybar pin wasn't due to improper rim width but more a problem with improper backspacing or axle width or pin placement.

I'd run a 7" rim offroad before a 10" rim. I need the bead protection.

wow, really? im not trying to argue just kicking around diff opinions. when I went to the off road shop to order a new tire, he asked what happened and I told him, first thing he asked was what size rims are you running, and said I was running the wrong size rims and said I needed 10" with my tires. got the 10,s same company same rim same backspacing. Never came close to that pin again. It was a stock cj with 4" lift, stock axles. I do agree that a too wide of a rim will pop a bead easier, but I don't think 10" is to wide for a 12.5" tire.

Not trying to argue either. Every tire manufacturer recommends a 10" wheel, but that isn't real world experience. Your problem could have been addressed other ways.

That experience just turned me away from the 8", so really I cant say I have experience running them. You have me scratching my head though, because as I said, I was close to loosing a bead and could hear the air seeping out. May have to try them again some time. I have been wheeling for 30ys now and have been fortunate enough to have never lost a bead. I know the lighter fluid trick to reseat but have not had to try it yet.

It works but it's dangerous. Got a good pic of my buddy doing it. Gotta be quick with follow-up air or the bead will quickly pop off when the inside air cools.

1.25" wheel spacers might have been another option for you. But then again there's a lot of people out there that like the look of 10" wheels.

I don't air down, I've never had too, and I've never popped the bead. But I do have a lot of problems with wearing the tires and the front end swaying, like when I hit a bump or hole in the road, it goes to the right or left. I was told it was because of my rims being too wide for my tires.....I really want to get to the bottom of this before I get new tires.

Attachments

• 20150322_200831.jpg
    20150322_200831.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20150322_200751.jpg
    20150322_200751.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The pulling to the right or left when hitting a bump in the road is called bumpsteer, and it has nothing to do with the width of your rims.

Bumpsteer is caused when the front track bar (panhard bar) and draglink are not parallel. As the suspension compresses it will push the steering to one side, and back as the suspension rebounds. Proper steering and suspension geometry will correct bumpsteer.

^^2x^^.

Being you have sway as well you might do a dry steer test and look for loose parts and movement where there should be none. Like TRE's, track bar, control arm bushings
Check your tire pressure.
Ans check your shocks.

Back