Leaf over lift or should I

Joedirtaay

Have a 1977 CJ5. So I have a 4 inch lift which is old and was thinking of replacing the leafs for new ones and thought should I switch my leafs over the axels. The last time I went muffing I bottomed out n had to wench myself threw most of the hole. I just thought my small block 350 pushing 35s could have done better a little taller

Your thoughts. Or am I creating more problems

Spring over axle (SOA) lift nets between 5" and 6", that's way too much lift for a narrow short CJ5. You'll run into serious rear driveshaft angle problems.

SOA induces more axlewrap under acceleration, and with a healthy v8 you'll need to build a traction bar for at least the rear axle.

There's a common misconception that SOA is a cheap lift. Done properly it generally costs more than a SUA leaf lift.

That's what I've read so far. Just thought I would check to see how others build are. I appreciate your input. Thank u

I feel I need more ground clearance. I got stuck in the mud (is in my profile pic) and a Toyota made it farther than I did. Granted I pulled him and two other Toyotas threw this hole. Any suggestions on getting a little taller ..

Your 77 has narrow trac axles and your wheel base is only 83-84". Your stock axles are about maxed out strength wise with the 35's. If you lift it more, you will lose stability. Without major mods, I see two options, get dana 44's from mid to late 70's jeep wagoneer, they have 44's front and rear. The install will require welding!!! you will gain a wider stance (for stability) and stronger axles. The 82-86 cj's had the same axles that you have now but are 3" wider (wide trac) and will bolt right in. Some mid 80's wagoneers had the same AMC20 rear axle as you have now but came factory already with one-piece axle shafts. If you go taller, you need wider and stronger axles.

My profile pic is a 69 cj-5 on 35's. I have since switched to 33's because of strength and tire rubbing up front.

I like the thought of being little wider. When I got it it was built pretty good ... But built a long time ago. So slowly figuring what is in it. I rewired it head lights to tail lights and have everything working. But the freeway driving is not fun so trailered anywhere besides town driving.
That's what makes them fun is your vision of the perfect 4 wheeler.
You guys know your stuff.

Back