jeep 86 cj 7 rebuild

john lee

I am putting back together my cj 7 and having trouble with it starting. It seems that there is fire on motor side of firewall when key is on according to my test light and when key is off. When key is on no fire. Also the headlights don come on . The battery and solenoid and starter are all new. Something is crossed or not grounded right. I have traced till im blue in the face and need help .

I am using same wiring harness , it is the one that was in it when I bought the jeep . It was working until I took out some of the extra wires that went to the old dash lights and I did not hook the fan motor back up as Im not going back with that.

Welcome to jeepz.com John . If your jeep has the original ignition and starting system , you'll have to see an illustration for the motorcraft dura spark ignition system , providing that is what is still installed .i would need to see a wiring diagram for your year jeep to be sure of the ignition switch wiring but usually there is a wire from the " I " terminal on the starter solenoid relay to the positive terminal on the ignition coil. That fires 12 volts to the coil for starting . Once the engine is running , that wire and the " S " terminal on the solenoid go dead and the red wire from the two wire plug on the dura spark fires the coil in run position . Check that there is both wires for the ignition . I believe though that the wire to the " S " post on the solenoid should be blue . The wire to the " I " post is red w/ black tracer ? A wiring diagram shall confirm this . As far as there being no voltage to the dash for lights ( dash , running lights and head lights , gauges , etc. ) and all power ( wipers , radio , etc.) there is supposed to be a wire(s) for ignition power and one for the alternator too on the battery side of the starter relay solenoid. Check these . That diagram will really be needed. Please let us know how it's going and thanks for your membership here at jeepz.com .
P.S.- if the cj7 has an auto trans , check that he NSS ( neutral safety switch) is wired up right ( grounded right too ) or the starter won't crank . Hope this helps . Greg

image-3720248232.jpg Attached is a wiring diagram I found which I hope will be accurate as well as helpful for your model year. Difficult for me to get one that I can be sure is right for your jeep but I hope this is right and will be helpful.
You'll notice that the Coil negative is green and originates from the dura spark , the blue is the only solenoid wire besides the battery and starter cables and the red wire to the coil positive dosen't originate from the starter solenoid but from the ignition switch . Hoping I got the right diagram for your model year.

Back