1989 carburetor replacement

jrude

I just put a new weber carburetor on my 1989 wrangler. I thought it would run a lot better but it still has a rough idol. Any suggestions. I have heard about nuttering the carburetor but I don't know exactly what that is. The jeep is for my boy and I want it to be dependable but still able to pass an inspection.

Welcome to jeepz.com. Before making any adjustments to the weber such as idle mixture or performing the nutter bypass , please check that any other items are in order first or the nutter bypass will not yield success and its upgrade improvements will not be found. Since you've got an '89 , the should be an EGR valve . Check the valve's operation . Check that the vacuum diaphragm is good and the port below it in the exhaust manifold isn't clogged with carbon. Can't recall if there was a tube that fed it and the EGR is just remotely mounted. If so , the tube needs checking. Vacuum line(s) pertains to EGR operation and solenoid or vacuum switches will need to be checked as well. Basically , EGR will greatly affect idle AND acceleration and performance in general on any engine. The ignition system should be checked for proper spark as the remix systems were plagued to a degree and the Chrysler introduction ( fuel injection and ignition ) greatly improved performance and reliability . Before attempting the nutter bypass , please do some research on RENIX era engines with regards to fuel injection and ignition systems. There are similarities yet differences of RENIX and Chrysler ( beginning in 1991) . Hope this helps . You will find the research interesting , helpful and fascinating . Sorry I have no sites to recommend or post links to but it shouldn't be difficult to find and there is likely to be many contributions that will be very helpful. Basically , you'll want to ensure that everything else is in good working order that can effect engine performance before we fault the carburetor. You'll want to get the engine's ignition system and emissions systems working right or the nutter bypass won't have a chance . I haven't thoroughly researched the nutter bypass but if I remember correctly it involved ignition and carburation . Perhaps there is a site dedicated to the nutter bypass that is helpful in making certain your engine is up to par before performing the nutter bypass . I've a feeling that since there are dedicated people out there who been there done that as well as in our forum , there ought to be threads on this subject to this effect. You may want to research our forum as well for members who may and probably have performed this and all this information will be helpful . But it is certain that the jeeps factory systems need checking since the engine drivability wise is not acceptable by your standards and must be first dealt with. I feel that good spark is a must , factory or improvised regardless. No fuel system will yield results of the fuel blows out the candle , so to speak. The EGR is equally important as well . This is in effect a form of fuel since its injected into the intake stream so it needs checking. I do not know of the nutter bypass involved EGR or not but you'll want to know the current condition of the engine in its factory state.
Hope this helps . Greg

Back