Hey guys please check this out! Cj7 !!!!

Monster'78 CJ7

Hello all my name is Gizzy. I just put a down payment on this 1978 Cj7. It has a SBC 350, Brand new sm465 four speed transmission, Dana 300 Tcase, Dana 60 up front and a GM FF16B in the rear, 1 ton axles, four wheel disc brakes, 44" TSL's. I am asking for any info you may have on what you can see from the pictures i put up.

Attachments

• My jeep 2 axles.jpg
    My jeep 2 axles.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 19
  • My jeep axles 1.jpg
    My jeep axles 1.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 23
  • My jeep big.jpg
    My jeep big.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 21
  • My jeep front big.jpg
    My jeep front big.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 19
  • My jeep rear axle and stable bar.jpg
    My jeep rear axle and stable bar.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 24
  • My jeep rear big.jpg
    My jeep rear big.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 18
  • My jeep rt rear big.jpg
    My jeep rt rear big.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 21
  • My jeep side view 2 axle and steering.jpg
    My jeep side view 2 axle and steering.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 19

Welcome to Jeepz.com. That's a pretty wild Jeep.
I don't see anything wrong, but I'm used to more modest Jeeps.

How does it drive? I've heard the spring over axle setups can be a problem if not done right, but it looks like someone took alot of time with this Jeep.

Welcome to Jeepz.com. That's a pretty wild Jeep.
I don't see anything wrong, but I'm used to more modest Jeeps.

How does it drive? I've heard the spring over axle setups can be a problem if not done right, but it looks like someone took alot of time with this Jeep.
Hey Terry, I have not driven it yet as it is not done with small details. It should be complete wensday hopefully. But I was wanting everyone on here to look and see if they see any thing obvious that is wrong? I also was asking what things to do when I drive it. Like what to look for. How to see if the engine has good compression and so on. Thanks for all the help

The only thing I can see is the suspension articulation. That second pic seems to show a shackle that would not have enough rotation for the complete leaf spring stretch. Also, I don't seem to see a bump stop. I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with the setup per say, but for me I prefer a suspension that can complete a full cycle of its intended compression and rebound to ensure no binding or stressing of any component. This would include the brake line and the steering geometry.
It is a big jeep and congrats on the purchase. I hope to see pics of it in the future out having fun.

The frame has been freshly painted so I would inspect closely around the steering box for any frame cracks. Also watch the steering box for any lateral movement while someone else works the steering wheel.

The front Dana 60 had hydraulic assist to the steering at one time, you can see the brackets on the axle and steering linkage opposite the stabilizer mounts. Probably gonna be a bear to steer without hydraulic assist.

The front Dana60 is the 'low pinion' type so the gears run on the coast side of the ring gear, weaker design and a concern with v8 power and monster tires. A high pinion Dana60 is more expensive and the way to go.

The rear axle is a 14bolt, pretty common in 1ton conversions. It looks to be set up pretty well but I too would add bumpstops so you don't over-compress the springs.

I'm concerned about not enough caster in the front axle, the pinion is rotated up quite a bit and if they didn't cut and turn the inner-C's the caster will be way out of whack.

The rubber body mounts below the body lift spacers are split and need replacing.

Some kind of cable tie or something holding the header mufflers to the frame, those need to be properly mounted.

Back