Jeep Wrangler 1989 yj

Rod Urrutia

I'm having trouble removing my dashboard for the 89 wrangler does anyone have tips on how to uninstall it. This may be a dumb question but I'm a new owner to a jeep and still learning on what to do.

Welcome to jeeps.com. I'm no YJ pro but we got folks hers who are and know that dash better . Ilł try to relate from my XJ dash removal even though there is a difference . If that dash has a lower panel that stretches across from left to right , if it dosen't , one less step. Begin by disconnecting battery negative to be safe and not ground any live wires should you be concerned . Begin by removing instrument panel cluster trim and cluster gauges . As your pulling it out , you'll have to disconnect the speedometer drive cable and dash light sockets and plugs . Look for release catches that usually squeeze to remove wiring harness plugs . Light sockets usually twist to unseat . Use restraint , no muscle involved , just finess . Once you get cluster gauges out , you can see better inside to work better. The radio and climate control will be next . See if the glove box is removable on this model , it isn't on the XJ. Look,for dash wiring harness at attaching points and release them where you find them. Once you've got all you can see , look for screws on top near the front glass by the defroster vents. There may be a plastic vent guard to snap out first ( there is on an XJ). Be careful with tools around the windshield , don't swing a ratchet into the glass ! Next , you'll have to drop the steering column by removing the brace brackets to dash. Support the column , not good to let it hang. On the right and left sides you should find bolts that secure the dash to the sidewalls above the kick panels. At this point you'll want to gently pull and look carefully for any securing points missed and any wiring as well. The whole trick to this job is like anything else , remembering where to put back what you took off and not trying to break something . If I ever get my damn Haynes manual ( yeah , I said Haynes) on wranglers , I'll look for pictures on dissambky hints and screw locations and maybe some wiring locations. Hope this helps . Once you get started , I'm sure you'll pick up on it . Just keep track of all you do and put the phone on silent . Tell everyone your pulling a dash and they'll know .

Back