Steering problems!!

YJ-Ray

First off hey everyone I'm back again it's been a real long while this time... Been deployed again and all kinda of stuff that have kept me out of the loop. And I guess the biggest thing is I got rid of the yj, one of the hardest things I've ever done, now I've upgraded to a 98 Sahara, i guess I'll have to change my name lol.
So Sunday I had to go pull one of my soldiers out of the mud and he was stuck good, I'm talking whole right side of his F150 sitting on the frame. Well I ended up having to jerk him pretty hard to get him out because the controller on my winch is broken. Now when I turn my steering wheel there's a spot where it kinda catches, gets harder to turn, I have to apply more pressure then it goes and if I'm driving it's kinda dangerous because I end up swerving pretty hard, also my turn signals stopped resetting making me think it is something on the column under the dash not further down.
I haven't had a chance to take the dash off yet and take a look but I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this and could maybe tell me what's wrong or at least what to look for?
Thanks in advance

Did you tug with a winch or a recovery strap?
Any physical damage to the winch or controller?

I would first do a dry steering test to see what is binding. Be sure to check if you broke or bent the frame. Include inspection of the steering column for binding.

Last edited:
I didn't use the winch my controller is inop right now so I was using a tow cable
Dry test as in lift up the front and turn the wheel and all that? That was gonna be my first move
I didn't think about breaking the frame though I will definitely check that

I didn't use the winch my controller is inop right now so I was using a tow cable Dry test as in lift up the front and turn the wheel and all that? That was gonna be my first move I didn't think about breaking the frame though I will definitely check that
Not to preach but a recovery strap is best for yanking someone out. Tow straps have no give or expansion and can end up damaging things or hurting individuals.

Back to the current issue.
A dry street test is best done with the tires on the ground and engine running to get the power steering advantage. Have someone turn the wheel from full range fast enough to see movement yet slow enough to not cause damage or get hurt.inspect each component including ball joints and TRE, control arm bushings...steering column.

Also just look at components like the tie rod, drag link and track bar to see if they are bent.

Big tires and towing or recovery puts a lot of stress on the frame welds.

Last edited:

Check for broken u joint or axle. Actually had a rock wedge in a steering knuckle once that caused a similar problem.

Back