Transmission help

Tristan

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and I was hoping someone could give me tips on how I can assist my girlfriend with her 89 Jeep YJ. She is love with this beast yet it is painfully wasting away on her driveway. I would like to help her by returning it to running order so she can not only move it but begin to modify it the way she has always hoped to.

Her ex worked at a scrap yard and it seems like he believed that he was a licensed mechanic. He talked her into doing many unnecessary mods yet he only took each job a quarter of the way.

The first problem which I would like too fix is reconnecting the transmission. It is still connected to the engine but tilted down and disconnected from the drive shaft. Apparently it is in working order and should not have been dropped. So my question is how do I not only lift this without killing myself but is there any specific mounts or other hardware which I will need for this job?

If I can get this job done for her I know we will both be inspired to continue working on fulfilling her dream.

I hope that I have come to the right place for guidance and I thank you in advance for any suggestions which you may provide!

Welcome to jeepz.com . If you can get some pictures and upload them on to this thread , it will be helpful so we may know what we're dealing with . Not knowing what was the plan and why the trans/transfer case is hanging , I would say first to get a floor Jack under the jeep with the wheels chocked safely and get the crossmember and mount bolted back up. The fact that the engine is tilted on its mounts with no support is not exactly cool . Not good for the mounts or anything else that is stressed under weight . Assuming it's a 4.0 liter , was wondering if the cylinder head and rocker cover are resting against the firewall or is the motor mounts the only support at an stressed angle which is twisting them ? This is butcher work. I hate it when someone tears into something like Jack the Ripper and bails out on it. Ok , hoping all of what was removed is not lost and all the fasteners are not lost either. The pictures will help greatly but be careful under there. Put a jack under the transmission but use a piece of plywood cut to,size of the pan to support and not crush the pan. Then it will be safe to take some pictures. If you can get pictures of the parts removed too , that is also helpful . Let's work on getting it back to running condition before discussing modifications so we know what we have to work with . Hope this helps but the work hasn't even begun yet. Thank you for your membership at jeepz.com.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and I was hoping someone could give me tips on how I can assist my girlfriend with her 89 Jeep YJ. She is love with this beast yet it is painfully wasting away on her driveway. I would like to help her by returning it to running order so she can not only move it but begin to modify it the way she has always hoped to.

Her ex worked at a scrap yard and it seems like he believed that he was a licensed mechanic. He talked her into doing many unnecessary mods yet he only took each job a quarter of the way.

The first problem which I would like too fix is reconnecting the transmission. It is still connected to the engine but tilted down and disconnected from the drive shaft. Apparently it is in working order and should not have been dropped. So my question is how do I not only lift this without killing myself but is there any specific mounts or other hardware which I will need for this job?

If I can get this job done for her I know we will both be inspired to continue working on fulfilling her dream.

I hope that I have come to the right place for guidance and I thank you in advance for any suggestions which you may provide!

Yup, you hit the happy spot to get help. Unfortunatly I am not the one with the knowledge. Welcome bro.

Sounds like it's missing the skid plate. With the engine and transmission hanging for a long time it may have stressed the engine mounts or at least sis sharpen the rubber in the mount. So you may notice excessive torquing of the engine when you do get it running. From things hanging like the exhaust system other items up front may be loose or cracked. Like headers or down pipes.
Depending on how long it's been since the engine was run you might shoot a spray of oil into each cylinder and manually crank the engine with a breaker bar (in neutral) before starting.

I agree with what greg92 says that's a good way to get the project going. I to will help answer any questions you may have if I can. I am sure this project can be a success your in the right place.

Thanks Scott . Hope Tristan posts back soon , worried that this heavy part of the job may have been overwhelming and hope nothing went wrong. That's when we got to save someone from themself if they're not certain how to proceed and we may have to go step by step. Glad your able to relate from your experience and will be able to be helpful as I know you can . Thanks Scott .

Last edited:
Back