93 YJ jeep Wrangler

aimeescorp

The 4 wheel drive worked previously, now it seems it does not engage . When I went to shift in to either low or high it did so easly, no strange noise. Tires spin and the indicator light on dash does not come on . I have read about the CAD could be a possibility, but can't seem to find a good diagrams to show me what I need to look for , if that may be the problem.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

The lock has a bad reputation of the lines getting brittle and leaking and the little pump fails from age. Front Diff Passenger side. put in 4WD and crawl under and listen for a leak. there is a cable replacement for it.

The YJs use a vacuum line to engage a vacuum actuator, and lock the front axle. I think it's pretty common for that vacuum line to fail over the years.

4wddiagram.jpg

I believe this is the kit that Latamir was referring to:
VACUUM ACTUATOR eliminator wrangler | eBay

its 100% chance your lines are dry rotted. go buy 20 feet of rubber line and replace it all and you will be good for a while. i did that to my wife's 93 yj and we never had a problem. i have also done my 87 yj and my old 87 xj that way

You can also remove the disconnect motor from the front axle (4 bolts), slide the shift collar over to engage both axleshafts, and reinstall the shift motor upside down. The shift fork will now hold the shift collar in the engaged position for 4wd. You can run on dry pavement with the front axle engaged as long as the transfer case lever is in 2wd and your front driveshaft is balanced.

This mod works great for 4wd in a pinch. Quick and easy.

Thank you to you all... I will check it out tis weekend

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Back