1989 YJ 4.2 problems

Adioman008

I recently purchased a 1989 YJ with the 4.2 motor 5 speed. The jeep starts normal but once you put in gear and take off with the throttle half way down the jeep bogs out super bad. It smells like it is running super rich. I have no clue but I already love this thing. Just need some advice.

Does it have the Original Carter carb? If so Follow these steps.

1) remove carb 2) place into trash 3) go here https://www.holley.com/brands/mr_gasket/ and get the adapter 4) go to salvage and get a Ford(motorcraft) 5200. 6)adjust needles 7) remove old carb from trash spike to ground make warrior chants flip it off and place back in trash.

Ha ha nice. It still needs to pass smog. Also it is a holly carb. It smells like fuel inside the cab when driving. I check and there is no fuel leak anywhere. I hate feeling like I know nothing lol.

Use photo bucket of load the pics.

You have to pass smog but have a holley? What state are you in?

In that case it probably needs a rebuild on the carb some times the float gets a hole and wont work proper normally to the rich side. take the carb off, take it a part, and place in a a tub just big enough for it, and spray a shit ton of carb cleaner in it let it soak a bit, take it out let it dry, then use compressed air to blow out every single hole you can find, make sure bowl is clean the put in the new kit. now go find a carter carb and spike to the floor and flip off while doing warrior chant. (hate those things sooooo much)

I am currently in California. Also I received some advice today from a mechanic to do the following. Get some carb cleaner start my jeep remove the air filter and spray a shit ton in while the jeep was running and close the butterfly several times. After about 15 times of doing this and adjusting the air/fuel mixture the jeep was alive again. I now have to replace the entire exhaust different problem. While doing all the above I noticed that the exhaust manifold had about a half inch gab between it and the gasket. I found a guy that quoted me 350 for the entire system and labor!

you cannot pass smog with that carb on it, you will have to either convert to fuel injection or rebuild your current carb

Back