1978 CJ5 carb issues

I just got my Jeep running (somewhat) after sitting up for a while. Here's my issue. I can get it to crank using starter fluid. As long as my foot is on the gas, it will run (not moving). As soon as I take my foot of the gas, it dies. I'm thinking the carb is clogged somewhere. Gas is squirting into it, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filters. Any suggestions on what I could do without having to pull the carb off? I have to have it running by next weekend for my son's birthday. As a back up, I've already made plans to take it to my mechanic if needed.

Check that all your vacuum lines are hooked up.

Fuel filter
Pressure regulator if you have one.

I agree totally... check all vacuum lines, look for dried out lines with cracks. If you have power brakes, check the large vac line going from booster to carb. I believe the fuel pump and filter have a feed and return line, could you have hooked them backwards?
This does sound like a huge vac leak.

Any idea what carb is on it? I recently went through some hassles on a Carter AFB on my '78 that ran the gamut of what could go wrong. :roll: Finally got to the bottom of mine though

I would follow any and all advise on your carb Mr. Turbogus has for you. I followed his carb thread and he went through a lot and should be very familiar with your carb if it is the same.. I think he had his apart a million times

Back