Oil I'm breather box

kadehamilton

I have a 05 tj with a 2.4 and a 6 speed I was cleaning my IAC valve and throttle body the other day and when I took my air filter out I noticed some oil residue and a little oil pulled up in one corner or the back of the air box. What would cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A clogged or disconnected CCV (Closed Crankcase Ventilation) system. The CCV system is comprised of a vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the valve cover, sucking into the intake to burn crankcase vapors. The second part of the CCV system is a fresh air hose from the valve cover to the air tube, which supplies fresh air to the crankcase.

With the engine running, pull the small hose at the airtube and see if it's sucking air into the valve cover. If it's not, that's your problem. Post your findings and we'll cover what to look for to fix this.

Sorry it's took me so long to get back with y'all. Come to find out my catalytic converter was stopped up. I got that fixed so hopefully that will have it fixed.

Kade Hamilton

I'm intimately familiar with the 2.4. I have to ask you how the cat became blocked up? The engine is one of the cleanest running higher output 4 cylinders Chrysler ever put out, which is why it was/is used in so many different vehicles and configurations. Are you burning oil? Is there something creating excessive crankcase pressure pushing oil into the intake and that burning oil is what is blocking your cat up? typically that specific cat setup id good for literally a quarter million miles before it goes bad, and that's when it starts to carbon up and close off ( remember there are O2 sensors on the input and output sides of the cat) You should have also gotten error codes telling you the cat was bad...

I'm intimately familiar with the 2.4. I have to ask you how the cat became blocked up? The engine is one of the cleanest running higher output 4 cylinders Chrysler ever put out, which is why it was/is used in so many different vehicles and configurations. Are you burning oil? Is there something creating excessive crankcase pressure pushing oil into the intake and that burning oil is what is blocking your cat up? typically that specific cat setup id good for literally a quarter million miles before it goes bad, and that's when it starts to carbon up and close off ( remember there are O2 sensors on the input and output sides of the cat) You should have also gotten error codes telling you the cat was bad...

Well I don't know if I'm burning oil or not, I recently purchased the rig. I came to the conclusion that my cat was stopped up when I was driving home from class the other night and it wouldn't pull itself 20mph down the interstate. I pulled over at a gas station thinking I was out of gas (my low fuel light was on), and when I was cleaning my windshield I noticed a lot of heat coming out from under the hood. When I popped the hood the latch was way hot so I knew something want right. After I fueled up I provided down the service road and it ran okay for about an eight of a mile then went back to bogging down. I pulled back over and popped the hood to et it cool off for a bit, (sat for about an hr). Fired up at took off running a little better. Limped it on down the service road about ten miles. When I got home I popped the hood again to see if the engine compartment was hot like it was before, and when I did I notice the cat glowing almost cherry red.
After I took the pipe loose from the muffler and manifold, I took it into the shop marked it with a soapstone so it would line back up. And to the chop saw we went. I cut it off right I front of the bottom weld. When I separated it there was nothing but a black blob of molten mess! Welded her back up and reinstalled the pipe and she running 100% better!
Also I was getting a few codes before all this on so O2 sensors but it was after I got gas at one particular gas station. That ain't happening anymore!

Oh and the reason I say i don't know if I'm burning oil is because I have a rear main seal leaking. I just have not had time to pull the trans and change it. Only put about two thousand miles on it since I noticed it leaking

Kade Hamilton

it sounds like you are burning oil by the description all right. (black Blob) That's the problem with buying a vehicle with a manual transmission these days, the cat hides problems like this. Personally I'd start looking for a 4.0 to swap into it, since it will give you better fuel economy end low end torque. The 2.4 doesnt shine until its spinning above 3 grand. however that means swapping out the PCM as well as all different wiring between the two. When I bought my 06 with the 2.4 it was with the intent to install a bored and stroked 5.2 or 5.9 when the 4 cylinder dies, but it hasn't even belched yet...

And yes the 4.0 will give you better mileage due to higher low end torque, especially with the 6 speed. you will do less down shifting and will be using 6th gear a lot more. The one thing I would do, is add an old fashioned vacuum gauge so you can see when to shift if you do put a 4.0 in it. You will find quite a bit of overlap range between two gears, and a vac gauge will give you a better idea of when to shift than just engine speed, since the higher the vac for a given speed will supply better engine performance in most instances.

We like to hear the reasons why people feel the cause is what they think it is for a couple reasons, the first is in case of a mistaken diagnosis, and the second is if someone is having the same problem, they get a quick start on their work and can learn from what others have done. If nothing is learned, and a quick repair is just put in place, we don't really get to know the in's and out's of our jeeps, and are left SOL when they go down on the trail.

Last edited:
Back