How can i tell what cj7 i have?

bigdaddygb

I am wondering how i can tell what cj7 i have. weather it's just a base model a golden eagle or a renegade? The vin didn't tell me and all the title lists is model 93.Thanks.

you really cannot once its been painted and modified. the different models are just options and trim accessories.

like my 87 laredo. came with some options that you could get on other models but not all the same options together without it being a laredo edition. once i changed the side steps, it is not longer a laredo because that is part of the laredo package

i got ya. i was just trying to figure out if it was a different body config or something. i have seen a few places offering new tubs but they wanted to know what model like .. base, golden or renegade? I thought maybe there was some difference in length or width to be able to tell. The guy i bought it from was moving it out of the garage yesterday and had door partway open, jeep has no brakes currently and he was rolling it out of garage .. rear tire went down over lip of garage floor and took off garage door grabbed door frame and tweaked it up so now it won't re-latch. he gave me a $600 price break to make up for him messing up door.

I don't understand how you say the vin won't tell you anything. It should tell you what the Jeep was born with..

It says its a 304 auto lhd but
That's about it. I mean it gives the plant it was made and sequence number but not what it was as far as base model, golden or renegade.

ok so i went to a site that would allow me to check my specs against other cj's turns out i have quadra-trac in this jeep.

ok so i went to a site that would allow me to check my specs against other cj's turns out i have quadra-trac in this jeep.

Quadratrac is pretty common around that year with the v8 auto. The dead giveaway is the offset differential on the rear axle.

Post up pics of your jeep if you can.

Guys, he asked what kind of "CJ7" his "93" is.. NO CJ made in 93 (last year for cj was 86), no off set rear axle in 93, and no quadra trac transfer case in 93. you have a square head light "YJ" wrangler not a cj-7, they have different drive trains than the cj, and you need to know its a wrangler not a cj when you buy parts.

Last edited:
Ok, so the joke may be on me, lol. just seen in another post that you have a 79 cj7 not a 93, I just seen "model 93" at the end of your post, and assumed it was model year. In that case, yes with a automatic trans you should have the quadra trac transfer case and offset rear AMC model 20 rear axle. Disregard my above statement about wranglers.

Last edited:

whats a model 93? i figured there was tub change and the new tub was from a 93 yj but the rest of hte jeep was still the cj7

yes sorry i am new to this whole cj thing. but really liked the cj,yj, wranglers style and fun-tionally... Ok so let me clarify... i have a1979 cj7 according to the vin, it is labeled as a model 93 which yes according to the vin is a 93" wb. yes it has the quadratrac with the selector switch in the glove box. It only has 98K miles on the clock and yes the speedo works ( was a barn find) I didn't know if there was a way to determine what one it started out as because on some sites it asks what model whether its a base , golden eagle or renegade. From everything i could find online today and the comments in this post .... once it's repainted or options removed you can't tell. so I could have a base model and rebuild it as a renegade and no one would be the wiser.. not that that would increase the return value i think imho.

The renegade, golden eagle ect.... were nothing special, All cj,s from 76-81 had either 6 or 8 cyl engine, front dana 30, rear AMC 20, dana 20 transfercase, and either a 3spd or 4spd transmission. The models were nothing more than a sicker and a few added options like A/C, levi interior, stuff like padded steering wheeels, maybe a few extra leaves in the springs. You could put a renegade sticker on it and I doubt any one would ever know.

unfortunately, no. same thing with my yj, other than i have cruise control which was apparently pretty rare. even my wife's 93 sahara didn;t have that.

Back