JK with battery drain...

Brentb1225

I have a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited. My battery will go dead after a few days. I have test battery and alternator.. All checks out. So I decide to check the fuse panel. Fuse M28-NGC/Trans feed (BATT) was showing to pull from the battery. After it was pulled it shows a very minimal draw .001. What to do?

Sounds like the draw is coming from something that is protected by a fuse, you need to narrow it down further.

JK's are Unique beasts. Technically you shouldn't wire anything into them without using an "approved" accessory wiring "whatchamacallit". Chrysler started using solid state switching with the ignition switches in them ( that's as bright as the keyless key and pushbutton start switch). Some have no problems hooking accessories up in a conventional manner, others have all kinds of headaches. So anything you have hooked up that wasn't original equipment and isn't directly wired to the battery, should be temporarily disconnected before trying to chase this issue down. If it goes away its the JKcurse, if not, then you know what isn't causing you a problem right off. A couple pointers: anything that goes through the fire wall can be a problem so it should have an inline fuse on the power side of the firewall, in case of a short. if it comes from the battery through the wall to a switch and back out the wall consider two fuses for safety sake (Ive seen people rewire things and forget to add a switch, for example disconnect the power lead going to the switch from the battery, and replace it with one from the hot side of the fuse block, and next unless it is blatantly obvious, LABEL all the leads and wire tie them together for as far as you can, incase you have to do future trouble shooting. Electrical issues can be the biggest head ache there is in automotive work, and even worse in 4 bys that are used off road due to vibrations messing things up. One of the hardest parts is lending a hand online because we cant see it personally

I just downloaded a manual for the 2010, Fuse M28 feeds the PCM/TCM. with your ignition off there should be minimal drain on the battery as these are your engine (powertrain control module) and transmission (transmission control module) computers.

Brentb question for you. Have you ever listened to the vehicle after it is shut off to see if you can hear the fuel pump running? The 2010 is known for a bad fuel pump relay. The relay failure is common in many of the Chrysler product lines and it actually happened to my wife's Town & Country. This is what is causing all the non start and stalling issues in the Chrysler product line.

The relay is mounted on the bottom side of the TIPM. There are a couple ways to test the relay however let's start with the free one and just have you listen at the rear of the vehicle for the humming/ whistle of the fuel pump.

Let me know how it goes as I do have a solution for the issue over replacement of the TIPM that will be suggested by the dealership or manufacturer. It's a lot cheaper too :)

I read somewhere that a relay to the NGC/Trans goes bad and stays on. Replacing the relay fixes the issue. If I find the post I'll link it.

Back