New ring and pinion

james5454

I understand the steps on how to get to it but I am having a hard time reading the pattern. I know everyone has posted pics of these but I just can't seem to get it right. I don't want to hav to take it in to the shop but I'm close. Maybe someone can tell me if this is right, close or far off. Thanks.

Attachments

• image-3854008740.jpg
    image-3854008740.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 309
  • image-1898318024.jpg
    image-1898318024.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 1,043
It's right at 0.008". I know in my manual it says to strive for 0.008" backlash but for the amc 20 0.005"-0.009" is ok. But I have 0.112" shims on one side 0.060 on the ring gear side and 0.114" pinion shims. Just seems a little excessive considering my original pinion shim was 0.099". But I've adjusted and adjusted and that's the best that I've seen.

Last edited:

Is that the reason? I was told to be generous with it. And I never wiped it off

Here it is with less compound and 0.008" backlash.

Attachments

• image-3403299330.jpg
    image-3403299330.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 227
  • image-2301972811.jpg
    image-2301972811.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 386
So I changed to a thinner pinion shim to pull the pattern up a little. And this looks right to me but it's my first so I don't know. Like I said I'm not good at the pattern. It's 0.007" backlash also. I'm hoping this is it at least. I've been getting better at moving the pattern but after a month I'm getting tired of it.

Attachments

• image-750360270.jpg
    image-750360270.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 234
  • image-1052556751.jpg
    image-1052556751.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 355

these are looking good, although I would prefer to compare them to my manual which I cant find at the moment since I cleaned things up around here. As soon as I find it I will commit wit a valid comment. I have the same job coming up myself.

It's been nothing but a pain. It's my first one and i think If my axle goes out again I'm just going to buy a new one. I don't like taking things to shops I would rather do it myself.

Mix your paint with a little (very little) gear oil, will make reading the contact pattern easier. If too thick, the marking compound will force the paint and give an off reading.

I didn't find the manual yet ( dana) but I got another from Standard Gear as I need to replace the one in my 95... the factory pinion didn't agree with my wife's driving when I had the supercharger on that GC's engine,,,
they compound should be thinned with gear oil to a thin paste and you should add only enough to squeeze out, not paint the whole tooth. when it squeezes the mark will be bare metal outlined yellow your first try or two will most likely be spent locating the contact point, not actually checking the pattern. And remember the location isn't as critical as the type of pattern on your Drive side, as it will move when you adjust for coast. its how the two patterns both look that matters more than the positioning on its own. It is extremely rare that they both match up location wise. and if you get them to, I have a couple cases of New Glaris Spotted Cow in the refrigerator...

your original shim pack was just a staring point. Ideally you would have the bucks to have the specialized measuring jigs to set the shims up. but we aint the factory, or rich men...

comparing these to what they call Ideal in the standard gear book appears to be spot on. and the drawing shows the ovals centered on the ring as perfect. (in depth, not from the inside the ring to outside)

From what Standard Gear is saying, you wont get that nice wide pattern if the pinion is too close or too far away. from your pics it looks good BUT not being at the exact angle as those in the book its still interpretation, and I hope someone else will either confirm or deny, this is one of those cases where an oops can cost money

Back