Jeep Forum Noob

bignick91

2007 wrangler X. 80k miles
Loud ticking noise when car is on. Almost the sound of when your low on oil, which isn't the case cause the car has oil! I popped the hood and noticed it coming from a spark plug wire? If that makes sense. When I held onto the wire it muffled the ticking. I had the plugs changed and injector work around 50 k miles. Someone said it could be valves? Help please!! Want my baby to
Purr again.

Sometimes it's best to use a long screwdriver, pry bar, or wooden dowel as a stethoscope, safely placing one end on different areas of the engine with the other end at your ear. You'll be surprised at how well this helps you pinpoint a tic.

Bad/weak lifters can cause ticking but you said it seems to be coming from the spark plug wire. Have you verified it's tight? inspected it for any cuts? You could inspect it in the dark with the engine running.

it might just be a bad wire. it could be letting spark jump to something else. also, make sure the spark plug hasn;t backed out a little. just found that on a car i am working on bringing back from the dead right now. plugs had backed out, some how

Agree^^ Sounds like a plug wire is cracked and letting the spark jump. look under the hood closely in the dark with the engine running, look for a spark along the wires somewhere.

Back