New Project 1985 CJ7 - 1st item = Seat belts

Kevincarney

I need to replace the seatbelts in my '85 CJ7 before I can convince the family that this was a good purchase. Was looking for rear seatbelts that might have some kind of harness option (for the kids). Not a 3 point (where would you mount it?) but maybe an "over the seat" harness. Does something like this exist for the rear? If not, I'll just get the lap belts. Can you recommend a solution? Will also need new front seatbelts.

Later in the project I plan to replace the seats - should I just do that at the same time or is it ok to do belts first?

Be safe and do belts first, no one rides without belts. Consider yourself lucky with such an easy solution, my old Jeep didn't come with belts from the factory.

The easiest solution to add rear seat shoulder harness' would be to grab a roll bar from a 93-95 yj (I think 92 was a transional year where some had the fast back cage and some had the family cage). It should be pretty much bolt in for a cj7.

I like Eric's suggestion. I did a quick google search, and it looks like the a YJ roll bar uses the same bolt holes as your CJ roll bar.

boggers.jpg

I agree with Eric M's solution, However, if you cant find the roll bar with belts, look at the rear belts from an 06 TJ, You should be able to find them in a bone yard, if not, rockauto dot com sells them and the anchor plates, new.

Back