Questions about installing a skyjacker 2" coil spring spacer lift

genebyrne

Hi everybody , I'm new here I own 3 jeeps a 01 Cherokee classic , a 08 commander , and my newest addition a 04 wrangler sport .
I just purchased the skyjacker 2" coil spring spacer lift and attempted to install it in the 04 wrangler this weekend , attempted being the operative word ! Haha!!
I got as far as getting the springs off, and putting in the bump stop spacer, put the coil spring spacer in place , but cannot get the spring back in ??
I had the jeep on jack stands , and the sway bars disconnected(or the front tire rods !? ), but the axle won't go low enough to fit the springs back in with the 2" spacers on top ?
What am I missing ? Anyone who has done this lift and could shed some light on the issue ? Would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks

Last edited:

You need to push down really hard on the axle without the wheel on or rent some compression spring tools at autozone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to push down really hard on the axle without the wheel on or rent some compression spring tools at autozone

Did that . I was pushing the axle down with my foot and pulling up on the flare , while my buddy was trying to reinstall the coil spring . And we tried the spring compressor too ? Wouldn't fit with em on . Thanks for the reply and trying to help though

I'd disconnect one end of the lower control arm. Put a floor jack under the axle, and let it support the weight of the axle, then unhook one end of the lower control arm, lower the axle and insert the spring, then jack the axle back up. Do one side at a time if you can, but if it won't droop down enough then unhook the lower control arms on both sides. Be careful to watch your brake lines that they don't get pulled tight.

Yea the control arm forgot about that we had to do that as well - disconnect it

Just a point of info I normally don't badmouth products BUT DO NOT use SKYJACKER Shocks! Ive tried their hydros and nitros. Both times out of sheer necessity of low funds and shock replacement needed immediately. Driven ONLY in the city Ive gotten one year out of them. Seals blown out of them, and the rings sheared off the rods. Total junk. I'm installing Factory JK shocks in my TJ now, they carry the extra load and travel I need.

as for reinstalling the springs do you have the room to pull the bump stop, and spacer, insert the spring Then the spacer and the bump stop last? That's how I did my 06 TJ without pulling any other parts. I had to use a pry bar to lever thee axel down a bit, more like a handle than to pry, and set the bump stop in the spring before putting the spring in place. then use a flat carpenters pry bar through the spring coils to push the bump stop up into place.

Have you disconnected the track bar?

I generally have no trouble installing 2" coil spacers as long as the swaybar, shocks, and track bar are disconnected. It often helps to use a jack under the opposite end of the axle to pick up slightly, causing the opposite end to droop further. Then carefully persuade the coil back into place with a crow bar at the base, helping it over the coil perch.

As a last resort you can use strut compressors, they will compress the coil and allow you to get it into place.

Did not disconect the track bar . I will give that a shot this weekend ! Thanks for the input all

Ive just disconnected the shocks an used a prybar to lift the spring out of its lower mount change the bump stop, duct tape the spacer in place set the spring back against it and using a mechanics prybar lever the spring back in place. Bear in mind the frame is supported by jack stands and the tires are off and axel is hanging on the track bar and links.

Back