4 burner no power

Todd Tanck

I have a 2004 with a 4 cylinder. Problem is, I have no power. on highway, I'd be lucking to hit 55. If the wind blows, speed drops to 45 and I'm back to 4th gear. I would like to replace with a 6 cylinder, but wonder if I could actually get more power tricking out my 4.Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a 4?

Welcome to jeepz.com Todd.
What size tires do you have? Manual or auto? Finally, what gears are you running?

Last edited:
2004 Manuel 4 cylinder should have 4:11 gears..if you are running 31" tires or smaller you should not be having these problems and would start looking for the reason of lack of power..if you are running larger than 31" tires then it's time to do some upgrades.easy cheap upgrade is CIA,cold air intake,doesn't give a lot of power but makes a difference on a 4 cylinder. Could also change the gears.. Of you are looking at spending money you can find turbos or super chargers.. Personally I wouldn't waste the money to put a 6 cylinder in it. If I was to do a motor swap may as well make it a V8 cost would be about the same.

2004 Manuel 4 cylinder should have 4:11 gears..if you are running 31" tires or smaller you should not be having these problems and would start looking for the reason of lack of power..if you are running larger than 31" tires then it's time to do some upgrades.easy cheap upgrade is CIA,cold air intake,doesn't give a lot of power but makes a difference on a 4 cylinder. Could also change the gears.. Of you are looking at spending money you can find turbos or super chargers.. Personally I wouldn't waste the money to put a 6 cylinder in it. If I was to do a motor swap may as well make it a V8 cost would be about the same.

Actually with the 2.4l that he has axle gearing was 3.73 with the manual 6 speed. My buddy has an '05 with that same setup.

Actually with the 2.4l that he has axle gearing was 3.73 with the manual 6 speed. My buddy has an '05 with that same setup.

Did they change the set up in 2002 then? I know there was some changes then. I had 1997 5 speed that had the 4:11

It might be easiest to just sell and get a 6 banger.

But the v8 swap would be the coolest. Might be expensive though since your jeep is so new

I am having this same problem. I am running 33's it's geared to 410 5speed, I have never been able to hit 5th gear. Max speed 55 on a non windy day. What upgrades can I do to get a little more power besides a cold air intake I already have one. Also would it help if I dropped my tires down to 30's and how much do you think that would gain me?

I am having this same problem. I am running 33's it's geared to 410 5speed, I have never been able to hit 5th gear. Max speed 55 on a non windy day. What upgrades can I do to get a little more power besides a cold air intake I already have one. Also would it help if I dropped my tires down to 30's and how much do you think that would gain me?

I ran 31" by 9" wide tire with my 97 TJ had the 2.5I 5 speed with 4:11 heard and a CAI I would run 65-70 mph on the highway in 5th gear all the time..uphill ibwould have to downshift sometimes..the key was to shift around 3k RPM or higher do not wouldn't fall in its face.

I shift between 3000 and 3500 and it still falls on its face. Going up hill sometime it will drop down to 40mph speed limit on highway is 80mph not a safe combo of speeds. I don't have to drive on the highway but it would be faster and nice to take it out to some rock crawling places that I want to go to and I would have hit the highway to do so.

Think you will need smaller tires or start spending money. Could always regear but I believe you would need to upgrade to a Dana 44 to get deeper gears. Could always start upgrading the engine.. Look into the import car world lots of turbocharged or super charged 4 cylinders. May be cheaper and easier to swap out to a 4.0

Your best bet is 30" or smaller tires, or regear to 4.88 axle gears. Anything else is a minuscule improvement.

ive had a (italian made - factory type) for about 3 years now. "no power 4 " is one pproblem, 70 mph hwy speed is the other. i enjoy working in the woods with the 95 yj AND it will pull many times its own weight, but if i want to go to town for lunch, i have to take the Miata. curently trying to solve by assembling a 350 chev small block to put in the jeep ( ii figure high r.p.m.'s not gear ratio is the answer). any advise - appreciated Vinn

I put a 350 in my '88 YJ with 3.07 gears and it worked very well. I would recommend using a GM transmission and transfer case as well to save money on adapters. You can always use the front half of a 231c transfer case mated to the rear half of a 231j.

transfer cases; would a chev S-10 transfer case be the one you mentioned? i have that assembly from a s 10 blaiser, and i have the shop manual. vinn

transfer cases; would a chev S-10 transfer case be the one you mentioned? i have that assembly from a s 10 blaiser, and i have the shop manual. vinn
Many S-10's came with a 233c, electronically shifted transfer case. You want the 231c, manual shift transfer case.

Back