Engine swap for '07 JK

Bigskyguy

Hi guys. Looking to get more power from my '07 JK with the 3.8. Not much information out there other than a supercharger. Seeing they're not worth the money. My next thought is engine swap. What are y'all putting in? I'm clueless where to start.

Why is a supercharger not worth the money? Seems any swap wouldn't be much cheaper.

Honestly, I would look into superchips. I have friends with JK's and they all say it was the best $$ they have ever spent on their jeeps. Better transmission response, better throttle response and overall more HP. Probably run you around $300-400

I'd like to see some comparison data for the chips. Most of the time chips do nothing. Some make a difference with many other modifications.

Hp torque and mpg.

A chip that tricks sensors isn't going to do much for the anemic 3.8L engine.

Not sure I would agree with the term of "tricking" sensors. The mfg of these Jk's aren't using the best programming on their chips and are tuned for emissions control over anything else. The chips simply allow the motor to use the power it has available. I very seriously doubt my buddies in MOAB are yanking me when they say they felt the difference on the first start up. Some folks are just gear heads and prefer spending thousands of dollars and time under a hood to see added performance. I say for $300.00 it's worth the test before spending thousands.

Would the chips void any mfg warranties? I wouldn't mind a little more power and maybe better MPG but with only 2000 miles on the Jeep I wouldn't want to void any warranties.

Not sure I would agree with the term of "tricking" sensors. The mfg of these Jk's aren't using the best programming on their chips and are tuned for emissions control over anything else. The chips simply allow the motor to use the power it has available. I very seriously doubt my buddies in MOAB are yanking me when they say they felt the difference on the first start up. Some folks are just gear heads and prefer spending thousands of dollars and time under a hood to see added performance. I say for $300.00 it's worth the test before spending thousands.
We have your best interest in mind. Personally, I don't want anyone to spend any more money they they need, to fix issues. To you, it might be just $300 and no big deal if it doesn't work. We are letting you know, there are others who tried on Tj's and who have read many threads that note; they are not worth the investment.

You are correct the Max power available is limited to CC available and reduced by other restrictions. Poor axel angles, alignment. Tire inflation, additional Pulleys on the engine like fans and A/C, as well as, heavy electrical loads on the alternator, pull from the max power. Restricted exhaust and intake, limited fuel supply, valve ports injector efficiency and aspiration...are some others that cost more to do.

If your going ahead anyway post up your findings. Best would be baseline numbers compared against the first 200 miles then against the second thousand miles after install.

Last edited:
There is nothing that has to be added to the jeep. It is a programmer that you hook up and just run and no fingerprint is left behind once you disconnect it. On top of that it is illegal for a dealer to void your warranty for using after market products on your vehicle.

This is a programmer made by super chip. That is different than what we interpreted it as. Super chip also makes chips that mask over tha data from the MAP sensor and others that lead to running rich but no real hp gain.

Changing shift points can lead to a more aggressive feel, removing lag on the injector will also provide the an increased snappy feel. You might squeak more Mpg by messing with the fuel air mixture but be careful you don't kill the CAT or O2 by running lean & hot.

I'll read about that link. But Dyno results are best comparisons over a the seat of the pants feel.

Last edited:
Reading on these forums, it's being said that you'd get much more power out of a V8 swap than the supercharger for the same $$ or less. Plus, with 131,000k on my 3.8, I'd be afraid to install a supercharger thinking that it wouldn't hold up to the added pressure. Just my opinion....

Wouldn't you get the best bang for your buck opening up the intake and exhaust along with the tuner/chip? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but certainly no mechanic. Still learning....

Wouldn't you get the best bang for your buck opening up the intake and exhaust along with the tuner/chip? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but certainly no mechanic. Still learning....

From what my buddies did to theirs, yes. They did the intake and some did a catback exhaust and then the chip. I would either go this route or since you already have over 100k on your motor I would do a engine swap and also do the chip on the new motor.

Cost it out. For the few hp you gain it's not worth it.
I put e-fan, CAT, headers, bored out TB and 2.5 exhaust with near straight through muffler and picked up 1-2 mpg. No chip. I Can't feel the HP. I could feel there is no lag on the skinny pedal. That isn't necessarily a good thing when crawling.
Biggest bang for me was converting from a mechanical fan to electric. But still costly. All in app 2K in parts.

Last edited:

Cost it out. For the few hp you gain it's not worth it. I put e-fan, CAT, headers, bored out TB and 2.5 exhaust with near straight through muffler and picked up 1-2 mpg. No chip. I Can't feel the HP. I could feel there is no lag on the skinny pedal. That isn't necessarily a good thing when crawling. Biggest bang for me was converting from a mechanical fan to electric. But still costly. All in app 2K in parts.

It's not really a fair comparison between the the older 2.5 4 banger and the 4.0 inline six to the newer 3.8/3.6 v6 engines in how they respond to "tuners" etc. Jp magazine has several articles on this (FYI they are not fans of chips, etc... And realize they are a gimmick), it worth looking them up and reading what they've done. They added a fair amount of bolt on parts to there 07 jk and used a programmer and had real gains, it's worth the read.

It's not really a fair comparison between the the older 2.5 4 banger and the 4.0 inline six to the newer 3.8/3.6 v6 engines in how they respond to "tuners" etc. Jp magazine has several articles on this (FYI they are not fans of chips, etc... And realize they are a gimmick), it worth looking them up and reading what they've done. They added a fair amount of bolt on parts to there 07 jk and used a programmer and had real gains, it's worth the read.

I did read it. And the earlier mentioned one as well.There is a lot more than just a tuner involved in Jp article seven mods... . That's my point you could squeak out a bit more but cost per hp for the mods vs a swap may be more telling. Again the initial thought was a chip not a tuner. The earlier mentioned was several pages of comments with little data. Not bad but data talks maybe I missed some.

It's up the OP.

I was gearing my comment more towards the op as he's looking to do the modifying. I was just pointing out that some bolt ons may take him where he wants to go escpecially if he has a vague question of what engine to use for a swap.

On top of that it is illegal for a dealer to void your warranty for using after market products on your vehicle.

This is a little misleading. They can't blanket void your warranty due to modifications, but they can refuse to warranty certain items if they can correlate the failed part to a modification the owner made. It's covered in detail under the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

It seems the word 'chips' is being used very broadly here. Some vehicles can benefit from a performance tune but you have to look at them all individually and decide if they're worth it. Many just trick info the ECM reads from sensors, these 'chips' are generally gimmicks. Tunes that alter the base engine programming for improved performance are generally the more reliable way to go.

I've tuned my 2016 Ram 3.0L diesel by installing a reprogrammed ECM. Benefits include turning off the EGR for a cleaner running engine, 3-5mpg gain, HP and torque improvements, less turbo lag, etc.

Back