oil type

David Scott

Have a cj5 golden eagle with a 360 AMC but not sure what type of oil to put in it. This is why got it from my best friend when he past away he got it from someone else not sure if engine is rebuilt or not. Is there any way to tell if it has basic, semi synthetic, or full synthetic oil in it ?

I don't how to tell. As I understand, it doesn't do any good to start using synthetic oil on a older engine as the engine is already broke in, wore in, how ever you want to say it. Its used and switching to a oil that prevents wear is kinda useless now. If it were me I would just use regular motor oil.

I'm partial to the synthetic blend, full synthetic is too expensive for me. IMO the high mileage synthetic blend is great for older vehicles. How stout is the engine? use [burn or leak] oil? I'd let the current condition of the engine be the determining factor as to what oil to use.

If it has the orginal engine which it sounds like it does I would use regular oil and change it every 3-5 K miles depending on your tenpature and driving habits

10w30 for colder climates, 10w40 for warmer regions. Everything else is personal preference.

i use rotel diesel oil in my engines. quiets them down and works great. just get your normal viscosity and pour it in

Back