Steering cj7

Egargasz

My 1977 cj7 seems to wander on the road. I replaced dampener and steering box with a new one. All tie rods seen tight. Kingpins seem tight , also replaced steering sector shaft. I'm at a loss. Tire pressure is good, good tires as well.

can you post a pic of the front end? a pic showing the whole front end would be best, stand back from the bumper and kneel down and take a pic and post it.. I would like to see the shackles, tires, tie rods and box. thanks

how tall are your shackles, and what do the spring and shackle bushings look like. Post a picture if you can

Mine was a wonderer after my lift was installed and the problem was due to the caster being out. Do you have a lift? If so, did you install caster shims in your leaf springs? If not, you most likely fix the problem by installing the shims. CJ's had around +5 degrees of caster and mine was -1 degree without the shims in place.

No lift all stock. I took out the wheel bearings and found a very little play on one side.. I repacked and retightened that side and seems to be better. At least driveable for now, thanks for your help if it still persists Ill get the alignment checked.

Thank You,

Caster and camber can make you wander. Try rotating tires in the event their worn on the inside or out. Or reverse the mount making the white lettering inside instead of out...
Caster is hoe far I front of the pivot point the tire meets the road. The closer to zero the more wander. 5-7 is reasonable for most vehicles. The third is thrust angle. Worn shocks or sagging springs.

Back