What battery charger do you use?

Turbogus

I know this is a very old line but I'm looking for some guidance on battery chargers/maintainers I've had two NAPA 3 LED chargers over the years and perhaps I'm misinterpreting their capabilities but after all of the work I've done on BB for the last several months neither the older nor the newer NAPA chargers would bring my batteries up beyond 10.8 Volts. Taking one of these batteries to my local shop they put it on their cart charger and brought it up to 12.2 volts~perfect.
I'm thinking of switching to Schumaker or someone else for a reliable charger that can maintain my batteries during the down time when things go kaput and BB languishes in my garage for a few months. Any recommendations for a charger/maintainer would be greatly appreciated. :)

Good question, Turbogus . . .

No expert here, however, I learned from the best that there is a huge difference between a Battery Charger and a Batter Tender.

I have been using a Battery Tender Plus on my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 whenever it is going to sit more than overnight for years and have never been disappointed.

Good Luck.

I've been using Deltran battery tenders on my Z1R turbo since the 80's, but I'm dubious as to whether they can keep a pair of automotive batteries fully charged over the winter, not to mention discharged battery recovery. I'm leaning towards the Schumaker ca 1500, with their 5 year warranty

Schumaker SE-2158 rollaround charger/tester. Had it for close to twenty years, and it charges everything from my ATV to a semi.
2/10/50 amp charger, 125/225 amp tester.

I use a pulse charger.. it cleans the posts, cells, and charges with regulation... tests the battery first, then starts pulsing a charge into the cells.. best charger I ever bought..

Did you check to see the cells are filled? Only use distilled water or actual acid.

Many batteries are unserviceable. But you an take them to a shop to check.

Owls Sears and old Schauer

I'm a distilled water fanatic and one of the new Interstates was toast so traded for a new one at Costco. I've got a Schumaker 1500 (15 amp) b16709e3-1b90-494a-9dda-6c6ef93f2287_1.8a2d52891c34f0806f7646d80a52e553.jpeg coming and according to their site has a desulfation feature, I'm rather dubious about that but that's not my issue at this time. It does push 5 more amps than those NAPA ones that're failing though.

oops

Attachments

• C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_29_Pro.jpg
    C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_29_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_38_Pro.jpg
    C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_38_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_45_Pro.jpg
    C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_45_Pro.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_59_Pro.jpg
    C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_59_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Schumaker for the win, my smaller table model has lasted me for 23,24 years. It has been one of the most trouble free anything I've ever owned. I did something recently I've never done, I E mailed them to tell them how good of a product they make. They never got back to me. *******s ! lol

I know this is a very old line but I'm looking for some guidance on battery chargers/maintainers I've had two NAPA 3 LED chargers over the years and perhaps I'm misinterpreting their capabilities but after all of the work I've done on BB for the last several months neither the older nor the newer NAPA chargers would bring my batteries up beyond 10.8 Volts. Taking one of these batteries to my local shop they put it on their cart charger and brought it up to 12.2 volts~perfect.
I'm thinking of switching to Schumaker or someone else for a reliable charger that can maintain my batteries during the down time when things go kaput and BB languishes in my garage for a few months. Any recommendations for a charger/maintainer would be greatly appreciated. :)

hate to say this but 12.2 volts isn't perfect, A fully charged 12 volt battery should be at just over 13 volts, The misnomer of 12 volts is based on the minimum nominal acceptable voltage of your electrical system. Your alternator should be putting out 13.8 volts bringing your battery to about 13.5 volts. And NEVER trust the gauges or lights on a charger, is that the output of the charger which should be slightly higher than the battery voltage, to literally force the battery to charge ( charge voltage must be higher than battery voltage to work) Always check the battery with a separate meter, with the charger disconnected. And remember, this is not an accurate test for the actual ability of the battery itself as this is only the no load voltage, that requires a different meter entirely, and if the local shop you went to didn't check you battery with a dedicated battery load tester you wont know if your battery is still within its viable life span, as a weak battery can still take a full charge but drop it fast under load. I could go on and on and quite literally write a theses on lead acid batteries, their maintenance and so forth, but the fact is there is no One charger solutions. Yes Schumacher makes several maintainers, which is what you are looking for, but there are NO maintainers that will maintain a weak battery. the self discharge rate will be higher than the maintenance charge, and those that put out a higher charge will boil off the electrolyte in short order.

Back