Sleeve the output shaft?

GirlzJeep

Hey all.

I'm looking for some advice for my precious jeep. I'm no mechanic and actually have just been left for fend for myself & my '87 YJ by myself. I'm a bit overwhelmed but have the ability to learn!

I've got a problem with the fit of the drive shaft & the transfer case? (I am a biologist, so I'm thinking that is what it is, don't laugh). The seal keeps prolapsing and is leaking pink watery fluid. (Again, biologist.. so prolapse might not be the word ya'll use)

I was told the easiest way to fix it is to sleeve the output shaft to build it up. Obviously I'm going to need someone to do that.. but I wanted to know if that was the best option.

Thank you all!

Wonky Drive Shaft & Seal.JPG

Wonky.JPG

All you would do is replace the rear drive shaft, it will pull out of the transfer case when you un bolt it from the rear axle. Your output shaft is actually a male splined shaft and the part you see that needs "built up" is part of the drive shaft. You can replace just that part. When you say the fluid looks pink and watery does it look like peptobusmall? If so you need to drain and replace the transfer case fluid, always remove the fill plug first then remove the drain plug. They are both on the rear of the case (as your laying under the jeep facing forward they will be on the driver side of the case). The fluid you would need is regular ATF (automatic transmission fluid) look for the bottle labeled dex/merc 3 you will need around 2 quarts. Just fill until it starts to run out the fill plug hole (also get one of the cheap fluid pumps at harbor freight or your parts store as they will make your life much easier.)

I totally agree with the t-case flush . Just to be safe that there I s no water contamination and it's just good maintenance . It's very like the slip yoke splines may be worn so replacement may be necessary. Another possibility is the extension housing or tail shaft housing bushing may be worn and needs a new one pressed in .
Would like to add something else ; from my observation of the posted pic , the slip yoke is extended quite a ways out. I see the jeep has a modest lift . You may need to consider a transfer case drop . For daily driving it probably won't be an issue but still a little risky . Off road with a lot of suspension flex can cause the slip yoke to literally slip out and off the transfer case.
You don't want that . At the minimum , I would suggest looking into a t-case drop kit .
A slip yoke eliminator kit ( SYE ) would be great . That's advanced stuff that requires the removal , disassembly , reassembly and reinstallation of the transfer case .
Please don't get discouraged , all in due time is the key . Just be aware of the current status of your jeep and all will be fine . I mention this because I wouldn't want for you to go off road and have a catasstrophe ( did I spell that right ? ) happen and ruin your feelings about your decision to keep the jeep . Continue to look the jeep over as you are and make your notes .
Your threads and posts are most welcome . Your contributions and sharing here at jeepz.com are very mush appreciated . Not only does it serve to help you in your quest to I,prove your jeep , but to anyone who may research with similar questions and/or problems .
Thank you once again . Please do follow up as Eric M has posted . Thanks Eric .

Back