Another pcm problem

bugman40284

so i recently bought two wranglers. one is a 91 and the other is a 93. both jeeps for 1000 dollars "what a deal" i thought. well one has a 2.5 and it has been sitting for god knows how long. i wish i had a history of the jeep but i think it has been lost in the sands of Nevada. if you buy a vehicle from Nevada make sure you check the frame for cancer cells because i almost lost one of the jeeps going over the pass due to one of the springs breaking the frame. so i have been tinkering with the 93 for the past year and have come to terms with the fact that i need a new pcm. engine cranks and that is it. engine light used to come on when the key was in the on position but it is now dead. ive read about a million articles on the 90s pcm's and apparently if you hook up a battery charger and turn on the booster engine start function, you immediately fry your pcm..... or so it would seem.

so to the issue. it is a 93 wrangler with a 95 2.5 and a 94 PCM. try telling that to the auto parts guy with a straight face. i replaced the wire harness because when i got the jeep someone had cut the power distribution center out. i have replaced CPS, Cam PS, Map, Distributor, Wire harness, TPS, and some other stuff i cant think of right now. i am 95 percent sure that it is the PCM. i have been tinkering with it for a while and i am not above throwing it in the trash compactor. i have replaced the capacitors and i have hit it with a hammer. nothing seems to work.

does anyone have a spare PCM lying around in the garage anywhere because i have scoured the internet and nothing seems very reputable. also, are the computer models interchangeable between years, harnesses, drive train. original part number 56027 364 date is 03/11/93. i am worried about using a rebuild service. do they test everything or just change components that are usually bad? and how do they test it to see if it will actually work?

any help is very much appreciated and i am sorry if this post is in the wrong place. if it is, let me know and i will move it.

Earlier this year I bought one from Auto Computer Exchange for my stepson's Liberty. If I remember correctly they needed the VIN to program it for his jeep. They were cheaper than most and came with a lifetime warranty. 8 months later and it's still working fine.

Back