Banking on the "Banks" turbo

offpistejeep

I've read conflicting opinions on the merits of Supercharge vs. Turbo.
I'm seriously considering heading to the bank and withdrawing money to put down on a "Banks"turbo for my '06 Wrangler TJ.

"Prodigy" turbos seem to be mentioned more than "Banks" sidewinder, but I haven't seen a head-to-head comparison between the two. Any feedback?

For the "Banks" users I do have a few questions:

Is there any direct or indirect complications with transmission and other mechanical parts?

Is the gas mileage affected?

Is the "Spyder" hood louver preferred over the "Banks" hood scoop?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think you'll find many users of either, mostly due to cost. Be even more rare to find someone with experience with both.

In your search for more power, have you made sure your axles are geared correctly for your tire size?

I've not done this but read many threads on it. Haven't seen a comparison. What I could tell you is a supercharger supply's boost at lower RPMs than a turbo. Turbos tend to kick in at 3000 rpm.

If you are wheeling it's unlikely to do you any good.

I've read conflicting opinions on the merits of Supercharge vs. Turbo.
I'm seriously considering heading to the bank and withdrawing money to put down on a "Banks"turbo for my '06 Wrangler TJ.

"Prodigy" turbos seem to be mentioned more than "Banks" sidewinder, but I haven't seen a head-to-head comparison between the two. Any feedback?

For the "Banks" users I do have a few questions:

Is there any direct or indirect complications with transmission and other mechanical parts?

Is the gas mileage affected?

Is the "Spyder" hood louver preferred over the "Banks" hood scoop?

A smaller radial supercharger is the preferred forced induction system for any offroad system. too big and you destroy the transfer case as forced induction systems increase torque curves outside the normal horsepower curves, this means sudden hits of power rather than gradual climbing power with the increase of throttle. This is why both super and turbochargers are not commonly used in 4 bys. Turbos are even worse since they are not limited by engine speed. they start producing boost at about 2 grand depending on the boost level of the turbine and free spool on up after that, pumping more and more air into the engine, until the maximum boost level of the waste gate is hit, The problem is it is still pumping air in even after you take your foot off the throttle, so not only is there a lag for the boost to build when you hit the throttle there is one for the boost to drop when you let off the throttle. Not a problem on the street, major issue when you are driving on a surface with no solid traction surface, and even worse if rock crawling. Over the years, Ive worked with both on street machines, and had to deal with them in snow and ice. No where is the term "no replacement for displacement" more defined than off road when you need horse power, but when you look carefully at the most successful 4wd vehicles, other than competition vehicles, anything over 300 horse is overkill, unless you are towing a large trailer.

Back