I told my wife that I would spend very little on 1995 YJ that I bought for $1500

robertcambra

:shock:

I told my wife when I bought this jeep that I would do and spend very little on it but now!!!

1. new exhaust with cat converter
  2. new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and fly wheel
  3. spark plugs, rotor, dist cap. wires, and coil
  4. body rust repairs ,paint job and decals
  5. new body mounts bushings and bolts
  6. new leaf spring bushings and 2 inc lift kit
  7. new running boards
  8. new front floor pans
  9. new transmission cross member
  10. new shocks
  11. High input air cleanser kit
  12. New modem head lights with led running lights front and rear
  13. Two tow hooks
  14. New steering wheel
  15. new soft top
  16. roll bar padding
  17. used front driver seat bottom cushion
  18. new serpentine belt and Idler pulley
  19. new stainless steel brake lines
  20. new brakes front and and rear
  21. new off road lights
  22. right rear frame repair
  23. new rear shock frame mounts
  24. 4 new injectors

Post a pic sounds like mostly repair parts.

Last edited:
Agrees X2. Please post pics. Some of the items on your wish list are repair parts and some are upgrade . Just thinking of what the misses is thinking . You've a,ready paid $1500 for a jeep,that cannot be driven . With the holidays rapid,y approaching , we wouldn't want you to be the subject of discussion at the thanksgiving table .
Hoping the jeep has a sound chassis and tub . Hoping the family recognizes this is a project and soon to be a driver. It's always the case , " if you spend too much on it , should you have saved toward another ? ". How bad do you want to do this ?
If you are having any second thoughts , can you get it up to running condition ( I.e. , clutch swap , etc. ) and make something on it and trade up to a better deal ? Is this the jeep you've decided WILL be the one ? I ask because I'm currently going through this now .
I spent $1500 on a cj5 which is completely restorable but needs complete floor panels , frame sandblasting and POR15 prep and paint BEFORE I can even move forward .
I knew this but wanted it anyway. It's what I wanted . To get a better jeep , I would have had to wait another year(s) . Every year that goes by , jeeps get older and we get poorer.
Maybe we can help you decide what's best . If this project causes friction in the household , we don't want you unhappy . That's not why you bought the jeep .
As JPNinPA has posted , some pictures will be helpful . A description of its current condition besides the parts needed is helpful as well.
We appreciate you sharing with us and your membership as well . Looking forward to future posts and pics . Wishing best of luck .

.... and remember while wifes may never fully understand what it important to us - they put up with us anyway ;)

I'd prioritize and get it driveable, then work on the rest.

.... and remember while wifes may never fully understand what it important to us - they put up with us anyway ;)

I'd prioritize and get it driveable, then work on the rest.
in some cases , this is very true. Being a car guy is tough . You have to swing a budget and make time for a relationship and the family. That means , as Mark Sr. stated , priorities , $$ and time.
If you spend too much time in the garage , folks think you've had a change of heart.
If you can get across that it is your hopes to complete this project soonest and ALL can enjoy it TOGETHER , that will convey that you have all their best interest .
Discussion is the key . Before making any move on any project , discussion is what makes or breaks . Too many a project has never been completed because of $$ , time or change of feelings. Now is the time to sort this out . You don't want a credit card bill , a garage full of parts and a relationship in stress . It won't work . Being a rebel never does. I realize that the point of this thread was to ask our opinion of the days , weeks and months ahead pertaining to this project and how it impacts lives . Realizing you've got the wrench spinning part down .
Hope this helps and really hope this makes everyone in the household happy. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back