1969 cj5

CJ5TRP

Hi Got my first Jeep it has the Buick V-6 Long tube Headers Lifted with 35" tires they told me it was a 3 Speed but its a 4 speed rev, upper right, it has a 2 stick transfer case driver side up low N then dwn high, Pass. side up low N then dwn high looked on the enter web trying to figure what kind it is just more confused anyone know what transmission and transfer case I have here Thanks T

probably better to put a picture of the trans and t-case. might be multiple options that have the same pattern

Agreed , pictures will be best. The T-90 was offered but cannot find in my books of that trans was used with the dauntless engine . The transfer case would be the Dana 18. The shifter to the left selected front axle engagement ( in & out ) and the shifter to the right selected Lo & Hi range .
If the main trans shifter moves in an H pattern and only has four gates , no spring loaded detent to a third gate , it would be a three speed trans. Look for casting marks on the side of the trans case of can be read ( may be on the t-case side ). But yes , pictures will be helpful .
If certain there is a third gate , will need casting marks and/or pictures . Most likely not the stock trans. Reverse up on the right , don't remember if that's a Dana but whatever you can find in numbers or at least some pictures .

Last edited:
Your first Jeeps a 1969 and you don't know how all the sticks work ? Did you try it before you bought it ? I'm confused. Anyway, everyone so far assumes it's stock. My 1961 Jeep also has 2 sticks that says H and L. That is because it is a twin stick so I can control which axle is the drive axle, I can drive in front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or 4wd, in high or low. It had to be modified to make it work that way, and maybe his is. The only thing I wish is the next time he posts up, try adding a few periods a couple times during your paragraph.

Your trans could be anything being a 69. the t90 and I believe the t14 were available at the time. as mentioned, look on the side of the trans and post the numbers you find. The tcase is probably a factory unit ( spicer 18 ) with the factory twin stick although I think the 69 used the single stick tcase, but many people swap them onto the single stick units. As mentioned, it could also be aftermarket twinstick with operates diff than the factory twinstick, so pics of the shifter would help too. You bought a old jeep which will probably need lots of attention so I hope you are mechanicly inclined. If you have factory axles, the front is a dana 27 and are 19 spline axle shafts, the rear is a offset dana 44 with 19 spline with powerlok. Not the strongest axles for 35" tires, I would be light footed off road.

Last edited:
Yes my first Jeep. Had a 85 Ford 4x4, not my fist Stick, it had a 4 speed W/ a Granny low. This jeep has one as well, The guy who had it before must have used it to climbed rocks. I on the other hand will be taking the wife to the Wa. beaches, were you can drive on the sand

No wonder you were told it's a three speed . The Lo first gear ( granny gear ) isn't used in 2wd too often for normal driving and only for very slow operation or pulling in 4wd. I've used Lo 1st gear with 4wh on hills with an old '78 cherokee . It's a useful gear when the situation calls for it. For the record , you most likely have the T-18 or the T-18A main trans. See if you can get the casting numbers but I believe you got one of those two I mentioned. Sounds like you got a good deal as these two trans are desirable and good strong units. They go for a good buck too!
The t-18 has no PTO cover on its side and the t-18a does . Hope this helps.
The t-90 and t-14 are close in size but a t-18 or t-18a are a bigger box.

CJ5TRP, you have the buick v6, im pretty sure they had a ODD and EVEN fire engine in the v6,s. You better check to see which you have because if you buy ignition parts for a evenfire when you have a oddfire it will not run correct and you will have all sorts of problems figuring out why not. it will run but like crap, so make absolute sure you get the right parts when the time comes.

Back