Engine Temp

jeep4ever

I recently changed the thermostat to address the engine malfunction light, all went well but during the job I noticed the rad petcock valve was not in good shape but I did get it to stop leaking. A week or so later I noticed it dripping and I tried to hand tighten and it broke, lost all the antifreeze. Replaced valve but now the temp does not get above 150-160, I have been burping the rad, does not seem to have alot of air. What is the most lodgical approach on this? Thanks

Maybe the new thermostat is stuck ? It should open and cose to regulate your engine temp around 195 degrees.

What brand and model thermo? It is possible the thermo, despite it being new, failed open? It happened to me. Brand new and failed. I use Stant brand 195 deg and not fail safe. There are various models. Can't remember Stant one I ended up with but drilled a 1/8 hole in the top rim to bleed the air out easier.

Last edited:
It is possible the thermostat could be stuck open . That could mean the thermostat is faulty . Hasn't happened to me in a while but it has so I still keep that in mind if this should happen .
eventually , after a long drive , the engine coolant gradually gets hotter and doesn't cool efficiently . Not good for the engine . Thermos must close when cooler engine coolant from radiator circulates to engine and opens when engine coolant gets too hot. That is proper circulation and proper cooling system operating.
Yes , getting the air bubbles out is necessary to prevents hot pockets . That air pockets that get trapped in the engine . That will send the temp gauge up . I believe in your case the thermo is not closing . I'm sure the thermo and gasket is installed correctly or you would have found a massive leak already . That wasn't the case for you , thankfully . Hate when that happens , the thermo slips out of place when closing up the housing . We always got to be on guard for it . Too bad we can't turn the jeep on it its end so gravity can do its job .

Thanks everyone, stat failed open, put a new non fail safe in, problem fixed.

I installed a fail safe thermostat in my Ford truck and it failed shortly but the replacement fail safe stat has been in that truck for 5-6 yrs and still works as intended. Personally I prefer the fail safe thermostats.

Most fail open. The fail safe has a week point to ensure it fails open. It doesn't take much to fail this location. One overheat or too much pressure from trapped air.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back