Who's got the best homemade jeep stuff?

Gspotracing

Who's got the best homemade jeep stuff? Pictures,ideas,inventions:evil:

edited by: Gspotracing, May 14, 2003 - 04:41 PM[addsig]

My York On Board Air was a homemade setup...and its probably the coolest mod I have done to my jeep yet...very handy.

image-missing.png

For less than $200 it has as much power or more than a decent shop compressor.[addsig]

I LOVE making stuff for my Jeep... Here's some stuff I made for my YJ...
Air Intake tube:
image-missing.png

Center Console:
image-missing.png

InstaTrunk:
image-missing.png

Bumper Step:
image-missing.png

I have a step by step on how to make them right here.
I have some extra diamond plate that I want to make something out of, I may weld a strip on my nerf bars, every time someone uses them when wet they slip off![addsig]

Hey snitty...setting up the OBA really isnt that expensive...$200 for me included EVERYTHING. The york I got for $20 from a junk yard and the tank was $20. The bracket I made from some flat steel that cost like $5. The pressure switch was like $20 as well. The other $135 was spent on hoses, fittings, adapters, a nice regulator, a set of like 8 male and female quick disconnects, etc. I could have done it much cheaper. The regulator I bought was like $40 but you don't really need it. I just bought it in case I decide to put in ARB's later.[addsig]

oh i realize its not expensive... in fact, i have the compressor for free.. and the others stuff is just nickel/dime stuff from the hardware store... but the bills keep coming, and the rain keeps coming down, and there is no garage... its tough to get the money and time[addsig]

Just about everything on my Jeep is home made (or at least "home modified"). :-D

York mount ;-)
Front bumper / frame work
Steering box relocation
Roll cage
Rocker Panels
Shock hoops
Rear bumper / tire carrier
3" body relocation
Flat skid plate
Rear 4-link /w Fox Coil-overs (under construction)

More details on my site if you're interested
[addsig]

that is just an amazingly breathtaking machine[addsig]

If any Jeeper flashes by as a non member and sees the work done by the members here and does not regster and become a part, then they are not Jeepers. So many members that have ured their heart and soul maken the Jeep thing into an Art Form, and Life style here at Jeepz.com.

Knowledge and data Free for the taken with a backlog of page after page filled with one of a kind info from folks that do the Jeep thing not just read catalogs and order them. You have to know these are the renagade that make it all work to thier full advantage.

You are the folks that make this sport Real. Thanks Tug ;-) [addsig]

TommyJeep,
How did you set up your tire carrier. I have already built both my front and rear bumpers but not sure exactly how I want to mount the tire carrier. My rear bumper is fabbed out of 1/4' 2x4 structural tubing sealed to also serve as an air tank for my ARB's
If you have any pics I would love to check them out.[addsig]

Nice words Tug, and I agree 100%!

Rock, my rear bumper is also from 2x4 1/4" rectangle tubing. I didn't bother with the air tight setup though because I wanted a completely flush mount mount with the back of the frame. The main hinge for the tire swing is a trailer axle stub assembly. Bearings, adjustable nut, etc. The latch is a De-Sta-Co clamp from McMaster.com mixed with a custom lever to give me a triple lock latch. No accidental openings for me! With the weight of a 130# spare tire on there plus 70# of fuel and water plus a 30# removeable carrier, it was too much for the trailer axle. I ended up adding another, more simple hinge up high on the body, similar to the stock hinge. I also moved the tailgate completely onto the tire carrier, since anytime I opened the swing away I was opening the tailgate too. I left the tailgate latch functional, so it's kinda like a stock setup, with mucho, mucho more strength.

I do have writeup on my web with several pictures if you want to check it out:
http://www.tommyjeep.com/members/thm/swing_away/v2/index.htm[addsig]

Tommy... what did you have to do to the transmission/Tcase to get your belly up that high... did that take some raised motor mounts?[addsig]

Thanks for all the good ideas. I try to make everything on my jeep myself. Sometimes they come out killer, other times not so great. But at least I can say I made it myself. Go ahead call me cheap, but I'm not going to pay $500 for a tire carrier, $300 for front bumper and $250 for rocker skids. :evil: [addsig]

Tommy... what did you have to do to the transmission/Tcase to get your belly up that high... did that take some raised motor mounts?

The body is relocated 3" higher.... No pucks... Also the engine is up 3" like you figured.[addsig]

firgured so... what did you do to raise the engine? was it a home-brew system, or something you bought... i'm intereted in that[addsig]

image-missing.png

yeah, this is all i've got so far... not as impressive as the air compressor, but whatever :)[addsig]

As of today My newest home made item is the manual cable activated posi lock system. Now I have 2 wheel drive Low Range. About $30.00 and a couple of hours work. No more front differental vacuum problems to ever worry about. Tug[addsig]

electric fan is probably what i'll have to say... and i just got an alternator from my buddies mustang... she's gonna turn into a welder[addsig]

Snitty, you're gonna have to tell me how to do that one :-D I'm designing and starting work on a rear cargo rack/Jerry can holder and a re-enforced spare tire mount. If you guys want some spec's drawn up, I'd be happy to extend my AutoCAD skills :-D Just wanting to help my buds;-) Hey, does anyone know what to do about an air compressor? I've heard of bolting one where the AC unit's suppose to be, but I don't know how it's done. :-? Keep the Trails Hot! :p [addsig]

the air compressor seems really easy... the hardest part would likely be routing and plumbing everything[addsig]

Back