whining noise?

Joopin

Super Moderator

Rectntly this noice has come out of nowhere, it happens when I turn the wheel right, left, either a little or alot... basically any movement of the steering wheel. The noise seems to be coming from the underneath the front of the jeep... It sounds like an old creeky door... "Rrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeet" Kinda like that. Does something need to be greased? Any ideas what it is? Thanks for any help...[addsig]

Sounds like a steering ball joint. Try greasing all four ball joints. That should take the noise away. If it doesn't then, either it's something else, or if one ball joint doesn't accept grease, then you will have to replace the bad ball joint.

Hope this helps.[addsig]

Sounds like your power steering pump is going. Make sure you have Power steering fluid in the pump.[addsig]

Well I know it's not the power steering, I have had problems with that in another car... plus I checked the PS system and everything is fine... I'll check the ball joints though, is there a certain way to grease ball joints? Just dump grease on em or is there actuall fittings? Thanks for suggestions guys![addsig]

There will be an acctual fitting for it I think
jeeps have a total of 16 greaseable fittings
throught the jeep ....I may be a few off someone
can help me out here though...... :-O [addsig]

if a part doesn't have a fitting... i make it have a fitting... grease is good stuff[addsig]

Back