grinding starter

semoore27

I just replaced the Transmission in my 87 YJ with the same transmission from an 88 YJ. Everthing looked good, but my started is grinding on the flywheel and not even turning it over. I've put a new starter on it with the same result. There is a different starter for an 88 but why would I need to change it if the flywheel stayed and the starter mounts on the engine side...everything looks like it is mounting up in line. Before I go buy a different starter, any ideas on why it would have been affected or what else it could be?[addsig]

Can you push start it and works and engages fine? If not its somthing more than you starter, also when you changed your transmission, did you have you fly wheel ground, if so make sure they didnt worp it on the machine, i had the same proplem with a toyota, but when i push started it wouldnt run because i the input shaft was in a bind every thing bolted up good but there was noticeable scar on the shaft where i tried to push start it. Do you have the 4 or 6 cylinder because on the 2.5 there is a small plate that fits above you starter and if you dont have that in there that could also cause it to bind. Good luck and i hope this helps [addsig]

Back