Ignitions in CJ's

LadyGator

I have heard yall fellow CJer's talk about replacing the ignition in your jeep's. What kind of warning signs do you get before it needs to be replaced? How much? What kind is best to get? It seems like I have heard people say it seems like carb trouble..... but it is the ignition.

LadyGator,

If by "replacing" you meant upgrading and/or modifying the distributor and the secondary (high-voltage) side of the ignition system, there are several paths commonly followed.

Unfortunately, the commonly implemented ignition upgrades are for the I-6 and V-6/8 engines. Your sig-line indicates that your Jeep has a 4-cylinder motor. I have no personal experience with that motor, so suggestions regarding that motor would be better left to others.

For the sake of gathering background info though, the catalogues from all of the Jeep aftermarket parts houses contain replacement-upgrade distributor-ignition systems for the AMC I-6 and V-8 engines. Background info could be gleaned by reading those advertisements.

I went the GM High Energy Ignition (HEI) route with the Bubbacon I-6. The HEI upgrade is often talked about in conjunction with performing the "Nutter Bypass," but the "whys" and "hows" of the Nutter Bypass are better left to a separate thread.

Although not applicable to your Jeep motor, if you want to learn about the GM HEI ignition upgrade merely for instructional purposes, here are two hyper-links to click on:

(Why to do and how to do the HEI upgrade)

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/hei02/

(A good list of "donor" vehicles)

http://keith.cj8.tripod.com/gm_hei_vehicles.htm

To answer your question more directly, the ignition upgrades and computer bypass techniques are usually related to curing the terrible idle and the motor RPM limitations imposed by the stock computer controlled carb and ignition systems of the 82 and later Jeep I-6, 4.2 liter engines.

I hope this long-winded reply was of some value.

Regards,

The congenitally long-winded Inspector-G :mrgreen:

Yes, it does help, but I am still unsure of a few things. What benefit would there be for me to make the upgrade if any. Here is the deal. I have replaced my carb on the jeep, but still have difficulty cold cranking. In other words if the jeep has been sitting for about 24hrs or sometimes less, she does not want to start. Takes about 5 cranks before she'll go. When it does start she idles great and runs fine....In cold weather it is even worse. What do you think it could be?

LadyGator,

At this point, I will hold off on any specific suggestions, because I think you would be better served by the advice of Jeepers with experience in the care and feeding of the four-cylinder motor.

If their advice is not posted, I will then post a generic list of suggestions.

Regards,

Gadget

ok thanks I appreciate the help. Just tossing around the ideas of it.

Got a new TJ, with a body lift from the dealer

I have the same problem with my I-6 I have a weber carb that I have had adjusted but still no help. My brother has a J2000 he put an engine in out of a old wagoneer and it does the same thing now but worked great before the swap. I am thinking of going to an electric fuel pump to see if that solves the problem. They are not very expensive. That is all I can think of.

I've heard that an electric fuel pump can help with engines that have been sitting. I'm sure it would because you don't have to wait for the fuel to be mechanically pumped by the engine turning.

My old carburetor still seems to be doing the trick - 2 pumps on the skinny and off she goes. 8)

Back