Reset maintenance required light 1992 Wrangler

jm1647

I just replaced the O2 Sensor on my 1992 Wrangler and was wondering if anyone knew how to reset the maintenace required light ?

The light is triggered by a timer clock under the dash (not sure where on a YJ). When you find the box, you'd normally just throw it out. However someone on this board said the timer can be reset if you open the timer box up?

-Nick :!:

That's funny, my light just came on last week (also a '92 YJ). If it is a timer triggered idiot light, does this mean maintenance may NOT be required???

It's triggered by odometer. I never found mine. Eventually the lite burnt out. Not sure how critical it is to change o2 sensor. Mine lasted 190,000 miles without any mileage or performance loss.

Getting To Love Jeepz.Com!

I know that the Jeep dealers can reset them with the OBD scan tool but I was wondering if there was a way to do it with out the scan tool. Thanks for the replies.

You should be able to reset it by disconnecting the battery over night or just wait for 50 starts and it will automatically clear the computer itself.

I know that the Jeep dealers can reset them with the OBD scan tool

On a '92 wrangler I highly doubt the light is triggered by the computer. It should, instead be triggered only through a mechanical timer (works like an odometer). Therefore, reseting the computer doesn't shut off the light :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Dana 35 or 44?

Yep, I called a dealer and the magic mileage is 82,000 miles. What do you know, that's when mine came on! He said change the o2 sensor and remove the bulb, or it has to be reset with the handheld computer dohickey. It is tied into the computer on a 92.

On my 88 YJ. It was on the firewall just to the right of the gas pedal. It was a brown but see thru box. It had wires hooked to it and has little white gears in it. There was a small hole in the back of it that I was able to stick a punch or pin in it to lift up the metal arm. That triggers the light. I don't know if your 92 is computerized. If it is disconnect the battery for ten minutes(like said above)

TC , you were told the same thing that I was, :D " If you want the light out bring it in and we'll reset it with the dohickey". I never got around to ask him how much.

On the '92 it is definitely controlled by the computer not mechanically like the earlier years.

Thanks again for the replies !

John

the timer box was used with the RENIX engine. This I am positive of. However I have no idea how to turn the light off short of the scan tool. I don't even know where the scan tool plugs in on an obdI, I just stripped my 90xj and pulled the renix and replaced the entire vehicle wiring harness and engine out of a 93 with 80,000 on it. a week later the light came on. I have a friend that says he has the tool I need. Now I gotta figure out where it plugs in. any ideas?

On the xjs there is a connector right by the air box. That is for pcm. And engine. It is an L shaped connector and is taped to main harness.

L33TJ33P said:
You should be able to reset it by disconnecting the battery over night or just wait for 50 starts and it will automatically clear the computer itself.

Yep just unhook battery it will reset

Back