starter grinding, help!

troopermc

85 cj-7 w/258. engine flywheel is grinding up new starters. flywheel looks o.k., not overly worn, no broken teeth. 2 new starters in 2 weeks. when i put a new one on it has a good bite until i try to start the engine, it turns and makes an extemely loud grinding noise as it turns. what can i do to stop this?[addsig]

check out shims at the starter mount. Sometimes they are stuck to the engine and ends up shimming out the starter to far.. Good luck

Eastcoastoffroad.com

[addsig]

The next time you have the starter off, pry around on the flywheel a little, to see if it´s loose. It´s been mentioned about the shims, but occassionaly a starter has to be shimmed on one side or another and when replacing the starter with a new one, the shims go unnoticed (fall out, get lost or stick to the old starter). I´ve mismatched the number of teeth on the starter motor on occassion also.[addsig]

Hope this post isn't too late. I had been having the same problem on my '83 Cj7 after replacement of the bellhousing. I thought that it needed to be shimmed up somewhere, but You might want to check the grounding of the starter. I dropped a separate ground wire to the starter and it has not had any problems since. The starter gear was not staying engaged but rather jumping in and out because there was not sufficient grounding. Hope that helps out.[addsig]

Back